How to Solve Projectile Motion Problems: Finding Distance to Target

• Thread starter rasikan
  • Start date
In summary, the first question asks for the distance from the center of a target to the point where a bullet, initially launched at 240 m/s, strikes the target. The second question asks for the height of a fence that a baseball barely clears after reaching its maximum height 3.0 s after being hit and 2.5 s after reaching that maximum height.
rasikan
Question 1: A rifle is aimed horizontally at the center of a large target 60 m away. The initial speed of the bullet is 240 m/s. What is the distance from the center of the target to the point where the bullet strikes the target?

Physics news on Phys.org
Phyisc problems

Question 2 A baseball is hit at ground level. The ball is observed to reach its maximum height above ground level 3.0 s after begin hit. And 2.5 s after reaching this maximum height, the ball is observed to barely clear a fence that is 320 ft from where it was hit. How high is the fence

Thread moved to Intro Physics homework forum. rasikan, you must show your own work on these problems before we can help you. That's an important rule here on the PF.

1. How do I start solving a problem?

First, carefully read and understand the problem. Identify any key words or phrases that can help guide your approach. Then, determine what information is given and what is being asked. Finally, brainstorm and outline a plan for solving the problem.

2. What should I do if I get stuck on a problem?

If you find yourself stuck on a problem, take a step back and approach it from a different angle. You can also try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. If you are still struggling, seek help from a teacher or peer.

3. How can I check if my solution is correct?

One way to check your solution is by plugging it back into the original problem and seeing if it satisfies all the given conditions. Another method is to use a calculator or computer program to perform calculations or check equations.

4. What are some useful problem-solving strategies?

Some helpful strategies include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, drawing diagrams or visuals, working backwards, and using trial and error. It's also important to stay organized and keep track of your steps and calculations.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Practice is key to improving your problem-solving skills. Try solving a variety of problems, both in your field of study and outside of it. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, as they can help you learn and improve. Additionally, seek feedback from others and continuously challenge yourself with new and challenging problems.