How to do Undergraduate Engineering Research?

In summary, as a second year Mechanical Engineering major you should focus on doing research that is relevant to your interests, getting involved in research projects with professors and classmates, and exploring different textbooks to gain a broader understanding of Mechanical Engineering.
WK95
What should I research? By this I mean, what needs any researching in the first place?
I'm interested in aerospace'aeronautic engineering particularly the areas of structures and aerodynamics. But how do I find out what specific area of it to research? I'm only in my second year of college as a Mechanical Engineering major so I don't know nearly enough to understand the technical details of what ought to be researched. Since engineering is very technical, doing research in the field likely requires strong technical competence which is likely to only be full developed for the undergraduate towards the end of his coursework.

Simply put, how do I get started with research and learn to produce research that impresses graduate school committees?

Physics news on Phys.org
WK95 said:
What should I research? By this I mean, what needs any researching in the first place?
I'm interested in aerospace'aeronautic engineering particularly the areas of structures and aerodynamics. But how do I find out what specific area of it to research? I'm only in my second year of college as a Mechanical Engineering major so I don't know nearly enough to understand the technical details of what ought to be researched. Since engineering is very technical, doing research in the field likely requires strong technical competence which is likely to only be full developed for the undergraduate towards the end of his coursework.

Simply put, how do I get started with research and learn to produce research that impresses graduate school committees?
Doing engineering requires strong technical competence and proficiency. Note what it takes to be a licensed professional engineer (PE).

As for research, one can read any number of journals in various engineering disciplines, and even various disciplines of mechanical engineering.

There is plenty of research in mechanics of materials, computational physics/mechanics, thermal physics (heat transfer), fluid mechanics/dynamics, . . . .

http://asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/journals.aspx

http://appliedmechanics.asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/journal.aspx

Go on your schools database and try to find papers relevant to your field/interests. I try to read 1-2 papers a week if time allows. Learning a programming language is probably a good idea since it's a useful skill in many research groups.

For undergrad I would try to read a variety of topics before trying to focus on one, you never know what you may find interesting. Talk to some professors in your department and see if they wouldn't mind letting you volunteer in their research group.

I'm electrical/computer systems so I'm afraid I can't recommend interesting topics in mechanical.

I think I'll try to learn Matlab since that seems to be a very important software that Aerospace Engineers use.

I'll also take up your suggestion of reading a paper or two a week. That sounds like a good way to dive deep into it and gradually learn some of the stuff.

WK95 said:

As a second year you're way too early on in your career to have a feel for what "needs any researching" or what your strengths are. You need to do a long apprenticeship under the advisement of a professor. What classes have you enjoyed? What research interests in your professor's biographies sound interesting? Go around to their offices and ask if they have any projects for undergrads. If you're lucky you can get some time running simulations or checking code for grad students. Slowly you'll learn what your interests are and you can pursue them in grad school.

Grad school committees like good grades and initiative. Look into the SULI program for the DOE to get involved in summer research at a National Lab. There usually aren't too many engineering applicants so your chance of getting an appointment are good.

I disagree you should be reading a lot of papers. As a second year you haven't even learned the vocabulary of the state-of-the-art in Mechanical Engineering and it will be impossible to understand, much less place into context, any papers you read. If you dive too deep before you learn to hold your breath you'll drown.

Do the best you can in your courses and try reading an alternate textbook for your more challenging courses in addition to the textbook assigned. Different textbooks have different approaches and reading multiple ones can give you more insight.

Likes WK95

1. What is undergraduate engineering research?

Undergraduate engineering research involves conducting scientific experiments or investigations in the field of engineering as a student pursuing a bachelor's degree. It allows students to explore a specific area of interest within engineering and gain hands-on experience in the research process.

2. How do I find a research project as an undergraduate engineering student?

There are several ways to find a research project as an undergraduate engineering student. You can reach out to your professors or department advisors to inquire about available research opportunities. You can also search for research programs or internships offered by engineering organizations or companies.

3. What are the benefits of participating in undergraduate engineering research?

Participating in undergraduate engineering research provides numerous benefits, including gaining hands-on experience in the research process, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, networking with professionals in the field, and potentially contributing to scientific advancements.

4. How much time should I dedicate to undergraduate engineering research?

The amount of time you dedicate to undergraduate engineering research can vary depending on your academic schedule and the specific project. It is important to discuss expectations and time commitments with your research supervisor to ensure a balance between your research and coursework.

5. Can I get published as an undergraduate engineering researcher?

Yes, it is possible for undergraduate engineering researchers to get published. However, it is important to note that publication opportunities may vary depending on the project and the level of contribution. It is best to discuss publication goals with your research supervisor and work towards meeting the necessary criteria for publication.