How to evaluate this definite integral?

In summary: Thanks for your help :-) And yes I will make sure to post similar questions to the appropriate sections. Apologies for the inconvenience.
nashsth
Hello, I don't know how to approach this problem, provided in the image below:

upload_2015-11-22_21-57-25.png

I am assuming that in order to solve this problem, you have to transform the 2nd integral into the form of the first integral, but I am not sure if that's even the way to solve it, and even if it was, I don't know how to transform it. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
nashsth said:
Hello, I don't know how to approach this problem, provided in the image below:

View attachment 92273

I am assuming that in order to solve this problem, you have to transform the 2nd integral into the form of the first integral, but I am not sure if that's even the way to solve it, and even if it was, I don't know how to transform it. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you studied u-substitution for indefinite integration yet?

SteamKing said:
Have you studied u-substitution for indefinite integration yet?

We learned about it a few days ago... I don't know what to substitute to solve the problem :-(

nashsth said:
We learned about it a few days ago... I don't know what to substitute to solve the problem :-(
Ohh ok I see I see

so you let u = sqrt(x), then x = u^2, so that du = 2u du

Then you plug them into the 2nd integral, and then you get integral of f(u) / u * 2u du, which then simplifies into 2 * integral of f(u) du, which is 3, as given by the first integral, so that the answer is 2*3 = 6.

Is this right? O_O

nashsth said:
Ohh ok I see I see

so you let u = sqrt(x), then x = u^2, so that du = 2u du
So dx = 2udu...
nashsth said:
Then you plug them into the 2nd integral, and then you get integral of f(u) / u * 2u du, which then simplifies into 2 * integral of f(u) du, which is 3, as given by the first integral, so that the answer is 2*3 = 6.

Is this right? O_O
Yes

In the future, please post questions like this one in the Homework & Coursework section, not here in the math technical sections.

Mark44 said:
So dx = 2udu...
Yes

In the future, please post questions like this one in the Homework & Coursework section, not here in the math technical sections.

Thanks for your help :-) And yes I will make sure to post similar questions to the appropriate sections. Apologies for the inconvenience

Related to How to evaluate this definite integral?

1. How do I determine the limits of integration for a definite integral?

The limits of integration for a definite integral can be determined from the given problem or the graph of the function. The lower limit of integration is usually the starting point on the x-axis, while the upper limit is the ending point on the x-axis.

2. What is the process for evaluating a definite integral?

The process for evaluating a definite integral involves finding the anti-derivative of the integrand, substituting the limits of integration into the anti-derivative, and then taking the difference between the two resulting values.

3. How do I know if my answer for a definite integral is correct?

You can check the correctness of your answer by differentiating the anti-derivative and comparing it to the original integrand. The result should match the original integrand. You can also use a calculator or online integral calculator to verify your answer.

4. Can a definite integral have a negative value?

Yes, a definite integral can have a negative value. This occurs when the area under the curve is below the x-axis, resulting in a negative value for the definite integral.

5. Is it possible to evaluate a definite integral that has discontinuities?

Yes, it is possible to evaluate a definite integral with discontinuities. The integrand can be split into separate intervals and evaluated accordingly. However, if the function has an infinite discontinuity, the definite integral may not exist.