How to evaluate this nabla expression in spherical coordinates?

In summary, to evaluate the expression (\vec{A}\cdot\nabla)\Psi in spherical coordinates, we use the operator A\cdot \nabla = A^{r}\partial_{r} + \frac{1}{r}A^{\theta}\partial_{\theta} + \frac{1}{r\sin\theta} A^{\phi}\partial_{\phi}, where A = A^{r}\hat{r} + A^{\theta}\hat{\theta} + A^{\phi}\hat{\phi} and ##\nabla = \hat{r}\partial_{r} + \frac{1}{r}\hat{\theta}\partial_{\theta} + \frac
Izzhov
I'm currently working out the Schrödinger equation for a proton in a constant magnetic field for a research project, and while computing the Hamiltonian I came across this expression:

[itex](\vec{A}\cdot\nabla)\Psi[/itex]

where [itex]\Psi[/itex] is a scalar function of r, theta, and phi. How do you evaluate this expression in spherical coordinates in terms of the components of [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] and derivatives of [itex]\Psi[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
We have in spherical coordinates, ##\nabla = \hat{r}\partial_{r} + \frac{1}{r}\hat{\theta}\partial_{\theta} + \frac{1}{r\sin\theta} \hat{\phi}\partial_{\phi}## and ##A = A^{r}\hat{r} + A^{\theta}\hat{\theta} + A^{\phi}\hat{\phi}## so the operator is just ##A\cdot \nabla = A^{r}\partial_{r} + \frac{1}{r}A^{\theta}\partial_{\theta} + \frac{1}{r\sin\theta} A^{\phi}\partial_{\phi}##

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They consist of a radial distance, an angle of inclination (also known as polar angle), and an angle of rotation (also known as azimuthal angle).

2. How do I convert from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ), you can use the following equations:

r = √(x² + y² + z²)
θ = arccos(z/√(x² + y² + z²))
φ = arctan(y/x)

3. What is the nabla operator in spherical coordinates?

The nabla operator (∇) in spherical coordinates is defined as
∇ = (1/r) ∂/∂r + (1/r sin θ) ∂/∂θ + (1/r sin θ) ∂/∂φ.

4. How do I evaluate a nabla expression in spherical coordinates?

To evaluate a nabla expression in spherical coordinates, you can substitute the appropriate values for r, θ, and φ into the nabla operator and perform the necessary calculations. For example, if the expression is ∇f(r, θ, φ), you would substitute the values for r, θ, and φ into the expression (∇f) and then perform the calculations.

5. Can I use a calculator to evaluate a nabla expression in spherical coordinates?

Yes, you can use a calculator to evaluate a nabla expression in spherical coordinates. Many scientific calculators have the ability to perform calculations using spherical coordinates. However, it is important to ensure that your calculator is set to the correct mode for spherical coordinate calculations.