How to find current through resistors.

In summary, when two resistors with values of 1755 omega and 4020 omega are connected in parallel with a battery emf of 15 V, the current through resistors R1 and R2 can be found using ohm's law. The voltage across each resistance will be equal to the applied voltage, and the current can be calculated by dividing the voltage by the resistance value.
sphys4

Homework Statement

Two resistors with R1 = 1755 omega and R2 = 4020 omega are connected in parallel. The battery emf is large epsilon = 15 V.

What is the current through resistors R1?
What is the current through resistors R2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I am somehow supposed to use V=Emf - Iresistance, but i don't feel like i have enough information. Do i just need to somehow find V and then plug it in? If so what formula do i use?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the parallel combination of the resistances, voltage across each resistance is same and is equal to the applied voltage. Use ohm's law to find the current in each resistance.

1. What is the formula for calculating current through a resistor?

The formula for calculating current through a resistor is I = V/R, where I is current in amperes, V is voltage in volts, and R is resistance in ohms.

2. How do I measure the current through a resistor?

The current through a resistor can be measured using a multimeter or ammeter. Make sure to set the multimeter to the appropriate current range and place the probes in series with the resistor.

3. What factors affect the current through a resistor?

The current through a resistor is affected by the voltage applied, the resistance of the resistor, and the presence of any other components in the circuit.

4. How does the current change when resistors are connected in series?

When resistors are connected in series, the current through each resistor remains the same, but the total resistance is increased. This means that the current through the entire circuit will decrease.

5. How does the current change when resistors are connected in parallel?

When resistors are connected in parallel, the total resistance of the circuit decreases, and the current through each resistor increases. This is because the current has multiple paths to flow through, reducing the overall resistance of the circuit.