How to find eigenvectors/eigenspinors

• Thread starter mark.laidlaw19
  • Start date
In summary: And as stated above, you can use the double angle identity to simplify the equation and solve for a/b. Once you have a/b, you can normalize the eigenvector by dividing by the magnitude of a+b, which is simply the square root of the sum of the squares of a and b. This will give you the eigenspinor for each eigenvalue.
mark.laidlaw19

Homework Statement

Hi all, I have a net spin operator that the problem has asked me to find:[tex]S=\frac{\hbar}{2} \left(\begin{array}{cc}\cos\alpha&\sin\alpha\\\sin\alpha&-\cos\alpha\end{array}\right)[/tex] and I need to write out the matrix representation with respect to the [itex]S_z[/itex] spinor basis.

Homework Equations

I know that to do this, I need to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors (or eigenspinors) of this matrix, and then rewrite them in terms of the [itex]S_z[/itex] basis. From the characteristic equation of this matrix, I have found the eigenvalues to be [itex]\pm\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty confident with most of this problem, however, when I try to find the eigenvectors of the spin operator above, I end up with this:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}\cos\alpha&\sin\alpha\\\sin\alpha&-\cos\alpha\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}a\\b\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}a\\b\end{array}\right)[/tex]
I can't seem to solve these equations for a or b in order to find the eigenspinors, as once I substitute one equation into the other, the a and the b cancel out, and I'm wondering if there is a simple step that I am missing.

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mark.laidlaw19 said:

Homework Statement

Hi all, I have a net spin operator that the problem has asked me to find:[tex]S=\frac{\hbar}{2} \left(\begin{array}{cc}\cos\alpha&\sin\alpha\\\sin\alpha&-\cos\alpha\end{array}\right)[/tex] and I need to write out the matrix representation with respect to the [itex]S_z[/itex] spinor basis.

Homework Equations

I know that to do this, I need to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors (or eigenspinors) of this matrix, and then rewrite them in terms of the [itex]S_z[/itex] basis. From the characteristic equation of this matrix, I have found the eigenvalues to be [itex]\pm\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex]

I am pretty confident with most of this problem, however, when I try to find the eigenvectors of the spin operator above, I end up with this:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}\cos\alpha&\sin\alpha\\\sin\alpha&-\cos\alpha\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}a\\b\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}a\\b\end{array}\right)[/tex]
I can't seem to solve these equations for a or b in order to find the eigenspinors, as once I substitute one equation into the other, the a and the b cancel out, and I'm wondering if there is a simple step that I am missing.

Many thanks in advance

From your eigenvector equation you obtain:

[tex]a cos(\alpha) + b sin(\alpha) = a[/tex]
[tex]\frac{a}{b} = \frac{sin (\alpha)}{1 - cos(\alpha)}[/tex]

Can you use the double angle identity to simplify this? ##\sin2x = 2sinx cos x## and ##sin^2x = \frac{1- cos2x}{2}##

mark.laidlaw19 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Many thanks in advance

Off course it does. That's always going to be true for an eigenvalue equation. You already found the eigenvalues and subbed them into the eigenvalue equation. That means the two equations are not independent anymore. If you use both of them you just get an identity such as 1=1 (duh...) What you have to do is use only one of the equations to find a/b like unscientific did and than impose some normalization condition on the resultant eigenvector.

dauto said:
Off course it does. That's always going to be true for an eigenvalue equation. You already found the eigenvalues and subbed them into the eigenvalue equation. That means the two equations are not independent anymore. If you use both of them you just get an identity such as 1=1 (duh...) What you have to do is use only one of the equations to find a/b like unscientific did and than impose some normalization condition on the resultant eigenvector.

Exactly, because both equations are exactly the same, simply rearranged.

for any help you can provide.
Hello,

To find the eigenvectors/eigenspinors of a matrix, you need to solve the characteristic equation and then substitute the eigenvalues back into the matrix to find the corresponding eigenvectors. In this case, the characteristic equation is:

det(S-\lambda I)=0

where S is the given spin operator and I is the identity matrix. Since you have already found the eigenvalues to be \pm\frac{\hbar}{2}, you can now substitute these values back into the matrix and solve for the corresponding eigenvectors.

For the eigenvalue \frac{\hbar}{2}, the matrix equation becomes:

\left(\begin{array}{cc}\cos\alpha-\frac{\hbar}{2}&\sin\alpha\\\sin\alpha&-\cos\alpha-\frac{\hbar}{2}\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}a\\b\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\0\end{array}\right)

Solving this system of equations will give you the eigenvector for the eigenvalue \frac{\hbar}{2}. Similarly, for the eigenvalue -\frac{\hbar}{2}, the matrix equation will become:

\left(\begin{array}{cc}\cos\alpha+\frac{\hbar}{2}&\sin\alpha\\\sin\alpha&-\cos\alpha+\frac{\hbar}{2}\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}a\\b\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\0\end{array}\right)

Solving this system of equations will give you the eigenvector for the eigenvalue -\frac{\hbar}{2}. Once you have both eigenvectors, you can rewrite them in terms of the S_z basis by using the relationship S_z=\frac{\hbar}{2}(\left|\uparrow\right\rangle\left\langle\uparrow\right|-\left|\downarrow\right\rangle\left\langle\downarrow\right|) and substituting the corresponding values of a and b.

I hope this helps you in solving the problem. Good luck with your homework!

1. How do I determine if a matrix has eigenvectors/eigenspinors?

To determine if a matrix has eigenvectors/eigenspinors, we need to find the eigenvalues of the matrix first. If the matrix has distinct eigenvalues, then it will have corresponding eigenvectors. If the matrix has repeated eigenvalues, then we need to check for linearly independent eigenvectors to determine the existence of eigenspinors.

2. How do I find the eigenvalues of a matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a matrix, we need to solve the characteristic equation det(A - λI) = 0, where A is the matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. This will give us a polynomial equation, and the solutions of this equation will be the eigenvalues of the matrix.

3. How do I find the eigenvectors of a matrix?

Once we have the eigenvalues of a matrix, we can find the corresponding eigenvectors by solving the equation (A - λI)x = 0, where A is the matrix, λ is the eigenvalue, and x is the eigenvector. This will give us a system of linear equations, and the solutions of this system will be the eigenvectors of the matrix.

4. What is the importance of eigenvectors/eigenspinors?

Eigenvectors and eigenspinors are important in many areas of mathematics and science, including linear algebra, quantum mechanics, and computer graphics. They provide a way to simplify complex systems and make calculations easier. They also have applications in data analysis and signal processing.

5. Is there a specific method for finding eigenvectors/eigenspinors?

There are different methods for finding eigenvectors/eigenspinors, depending on the type of matrix and the desired outcome. Some common methods include diagonalization, power iteration, and the Gram-Schmidt process. It is important to choose the appropriate method based on the given matrix and the desired results.