How to find fractal dimension of Gosper Island

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fractal dimensions and how it applies to the Gosper Island fractal. The individual is seeking help in understanding the results obtained from different methods of calculating the fractal dimension. The explanation provided by the individual suggests that the dimension is 1.296, which differs from the value given by Wolfram.
dracobook
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this...if it isn't if I could be redirected/if a moderator could move my post to the right place I would greatly appreciate it.

In any case, I am trying to understand fractal dimensions. I read through wikipedia's description and I believe I kind of understand it. I understand how one gets the fraction dimension for Koch snowflake or Sierpinski triangle. However, I cannot figure out the same thing for the Gosper Island. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Gosper+Island&a=*C.Gosper+Island-_*Formula.dflt-&f2=2&x=12&y=10&f=GosperIsland.n_2 . It seems to me that it should be N = 7 and epsilon = 1/3 where N and epsilon are discussed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal_dimension. However apparently Hausdorff dimension gives log(9/7) which suggests to me that N = 9 and epsilon = 1/7, which confuses me greatly.

If someone could help better understand fractal dimensions and what I am missing here I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
this may be incorrect, but this is how i interpreted the explanations.

at iteration zero start with a side of unit length. it has one cover of diameter length one. N=1, L=1

at iteration one, we have replaced the side with three sides each of length 3/7. equivalently, there are three coverings each of diameter 3/7
N=3, L=3/7

at iteration two, we have nine sides, each now scaled by (3/7)th's of (3/7)th's.
N=3^2, L=(3/7)^2

continuing...
N=3^n, L=(3/7)^n

so using the equation
Dimension = - log(N^n)/log(L^n) = - log(3)/log(3/7) = 1.296?

Notice that the dimension given in Wolfram is the dimension after only two iterations; after 4 iterations it was 81/49.

1. What is a fractal dimension?

A fractal dimension is a measure of the complexity or self-similarity of a fractal object. It is a non-integer value that can be used to describe the amount of detail or intricacy present in a fractal pattern.

2. What is Gosper Island?

Gosper Island is a fractal shape discovered by mathematician and computer scientist Bill Gosper. It is created by repeatedly applying a set of rules to a starting shape, resulting in a self-similar and infinitely detailed island-like structure.

3. How do I find the fractal dimension of Gosper Island?

To find the fractal dimension of Gosper Island, you can use a variety of methods such as box counting, Hausdorff dimension, or the Minkowski-Bouligand dimension. These methods involve measuring the scaling behavior of the fractal at different levels of detail and using mathematical formulas to calculate the fractal dimension.

4. What tools or software do I need to find the fractal dimension of Gosper Island?

There are various software programs available that can help you find the fractal dimension of Gosper Island, such as FracLac, ImageJ, and Fractal Dimension Estimator. You can also use coding languages like Python or MATLAB to write your own algorithms and calculate the fractal dimension.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the fractal dimension of Gosper Island?

Understanding the fractal dimension of Gosper Island can have applications in fields such as computer graphics, image analysis, and pattern recognition. It can also help in understanding the complexity of natural phenomena like coastlines, mountain ranges, and biological structures. Additionally, the study of fractal dimensions has implications in chaos theory and the study of nonlinear systems.