Calculating Electrostatic Potential for a Uniformly Charged Sphere

• Thread starter Fazza3_uae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary: Hi Fazza3_uae! :smile:(just got up :zzz: …)glad to have helped … but don't call me "sir" … I'm not a "sir", I'm just Tim :smile:Well , I'm Glad to meet you Tim ^^Sorry for the late reply i was in bed & I have just woke up.Thank you Tim for your help & support ^^May God Bless You & Have A Great Day ^^
Fazza3_uae
How To Find Potential ??

Homework Statement

Consider the uniformly charged sphere with
radius R = 4.65461 m,
Q = 6.66731 μC is the
total charge
inside the
sphere.

a) Find the total flux passing through the
Gaussian surface (a spherical shell) with ra-
dius 2.08762 m.

b) Find the electric field at radius r =
2.08762 m.

c) Find the value of the electrostatic potential
at the same radius r = 2.08762 m.

Homework Equations

E=kq/r^2
v=kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I have answered Parts A & B , I got for part A : Total Flux = (Q/Epsilon)*(r/R)^3
& for part B : E = kQr/R^3 , But part C have stopped me so any hint or clue will be gratefull and thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Fazza3_uae! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Fazza3_uae said:
I have answered Parts A & B , I got for part A : Total Flux = (Q/Epsilon)*(r/R)^3
& for part B : E = kQr/R^3 , But part C have stopped me so any hint or clue will be gratefull and thanks in advance.

[STRIKE](But isn't the total flux independent of radius?)
[/STRIKE]
What definition do you know for electric potential?

Last edited:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Fazza3_uae! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hi Tiny-Tim! Thx 4 Welcoming ^^

tiny-tim said:
(But isn't the total flux independent of radius?)

Please check my steps of solving this part & tell me if i made a mistake :

[tex]\phi=\int\vec{E}.d\vec{A}[/tex]

= Int(EdACos[theta]) = Int(EdA) = EA

E : Electric Field inside a uniform sphere of charge = KQr/R3

A : Area of the spherical Shell of radius r = 4*Pi*r2

Inserting these Values we get :

[tex]\phi=[/tex] (Q/epsilon)(r/R)3

tiny-tim said:
What definition do you know for electric potential?

As far as i knew from the lectures the electric potential is the potential energy divided by the charge of a point in space.I also do know that Difference in potential is the same as Flux.

If i understood it wrongly please correct it for me & let me know & it will be appreciated. ^^

Hi Fazza3_uae! :smile:

(have a pi: π and an epsilon: ε :wink:)
tiny-tim said:
(But isn't the total flux independent of radius?)

oops! ignore that … I misread the numbers. :redface:

Fazza3_uae said:
I also do know that Difference in potential is the same as Flux.

No …

i] when we say "potential", we always mean the difference in potential anyway (and the same for "potential energy")

ii] Flux is the integral of a vector across a surface.

(In particular, there is no such thing as flux "at a point".)

So electric flux is the integral of the electric field (E) across a surface.

(Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux#Flux_definition_and_theorems_2" :smile:)

So the way you answer a) (the flux) is simply by measuring the charge inside the surface, and dividing by ε0

then you answer b) (the field) by using your formula flux = EA.
As far as i knew from the lectures the electric potential is the potential energy divided by the charge of a point in space.

It would be more accurate to say that electric potential = potential energy per charge.

But for c) you need an equation for the potential (or for the potential energy) … what equation do you know? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi again sir ^.*

Thx a lot for the information and corection that U've posted & I appreciate your help to me Sir.

Part C ) MmmMmmm... I actually know an equation for potential which is V=kq/r but I tried it and got wrong answer. I've tried for r once and for R once & still got wrong answer.

I doubt if there is another formula of potential that is related to the Formula I got in part B. I mean it could be like this : V=kqr/R

I know that My doubt is Maybe 1% correct but still a try. I can't check if this new equation is right or not because I have tried to put an answer twice in the website & still one chance to insert my last answer otherwise i'll get Zero in this part.

Thank you again sir. ^^

( Please Excuse Me If My English Is So Bad, I will Try To Improve It )

Fazza3_uae said:
Part C ) MmmMmmm... I actually know an equation for potential which is V=kq/r but I tried it and got wrong answer. I've tried for r once and for R once & still got wrong answer.

I doubt if there is another formula of potential that is related to the Formula I got in part B. I mean it could be like this : V=kqr/R

I know that My doubt is Maybe 1% correct but still a try. I can't check if this new equation is right or not because I have tried to put an answer twice in the website & still one chance to insert my last answer otherwise i'll get Zero in this part.

Thank you again sir. ^^

( Please Excuse Me If My English Is So Bad, I will Try To Improve It )

oh i see … you used v for the potential.

Yes, if E = kq/r2, then E = -gradU, so U (or v) = -kq/r. :smile:

You said if E=kq/r², then E=-gradU , What do u mean by (gradU) & why it is minus ?

and here we have E=kqr/R³, so what V must equal now??

Fazza3_uae said:
You said if E=kq/r², then E=-gradU , What do u mean by (gradU) & why it is minus ?

If you haven't done grad, then just read it as (d/dr) … so E = -dV/dr.

And it's minus because that's how the potential is defined.

(For example, the field outside the sphere is K/r2, and the potential is -K/r, so that the potential is 0 at r = ∞ :wink:)
and here we have E=kqr/R³, so what V must equal now??

oh, I forgot that E=kqr/R³ … ok, then dV/dr = -kqr/R³, so V = … ? :smile:

Yup , Finally I got right answer Thx a lot Sir.

& thanks also for the clarification about grad ^^ Appreciate it.

May God Bless You Sir.

thanks …

but no need to call me Sir …

i'm only a little goldfish! :smile:

Alright Tiny Miny Little GoldFish U got it ^^

1. How do I identify potential in someone?

Identifying potential in someone is a complex process that involves observing their behavior, skills, and interests. Look for individuals who are motivated, display critical thinking abilities, and have a growth mindset. It is also important to consider their past experiences and achievements.

2. What are some methods for finding potential in a team?

One method is to conduct a SWOT analysis, which involves identifying the team's strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. This can help you understand where potential may lie and how to leverage it. Another method is to have regular team evaluations and encourage open communication to identify areas for improvement and potential areas of growth.

3. Can potential be developed or is it innate?

While some people may have certain innate abilities that contribute to their potential, it is widely believed that potential can be developed and improved upon. With hard work, dedication, and the right opportunities, individuals can reach their full potential and even exceed expectations.

4. How can I identify potential in myself?

One way to identify potential in yourself is by reflecting on your goals, values, and strengths. Consider what you are passionate about and what skills you have that can contribute to your success. Additionally, seek feedback from others and be open to constructive criticism to identify areas for improvement.

5. What role does environment play in potential?

The environment can have a significant impact on an individual's potential. A supportive and positive environment can foster growth and provide opportunities for individuals to reach their full potential. On the other hand, a negative or restrictive environment can limit potential and hinder growth.