How to find the area of an n-dimensional triangle?

In summary, the problem is asking for the area of a standard triangle in n-dimensional space, which can be found using the dot product and the angle between the two sides. This can be generalized for Rn by expressing the sine of the angle in a simpler way using the Pythagorean theorem or trigonometric identities.
LFCFAN

Homework Statement

How to find area of an n-dimensional triangle using vectors?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
bump

LFCFAN said:

Homework Statement

How to find area of an n-dimensional triangle using vectors?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, what do you mean by the area of such an object? Do you mean its n-dimensional volume?
Second, please show some attempt or thoughts on the matter. Anything relevant you've been taught? Can you do it for 3 dimensions?

Find the area of the triangle with sides

A = (a1 ... an)
B = (b1 ... bn)
and A-B = (a1-b1 ... an-bn)

I don't even know where to start. I know how to do it in 3D with the cross product, but that obviously won't work for higher dimensions.

So I need help generalizing for Rn.

? Let me know if I've explained the problem sufficiently

There are n-dimensional generalisations of the cross-product, one of them will work.

Alternatively, use the dot product and some vector additions in the same way you can do it in two dimensions.

Some elaboration on that would help, is possible?

Did you draw a sketch? What you try so far to follow that idea?

LFCFAN said:
Find the area of the triangle with sides

A = (a1 ... an)
B = (b1 ... bn)
and A-B = (a1-b1 ... an-bn)

I don't even know where to start. I know how to do it in 3D with the cross product, but that obviously won't work for higher dimensions.

So I need help generalizing for Rn.

Your terminology is incorrect and highly misleading. You are not talking about an "n-dimensional triangle"; you are talking about a standard triangle located in an n-dimensional space. Your triangle is still a "2-dimensional" object. Recognizing that is very important for solving the problem.

I've literally typed out the question as it has been given.

I think take it as a standard triangle in n-dim space

LFCFAN said:
I've literally typed out the question as it has been given.

I think take it as a standard triangle in n-dim space

OK, so we are agreed on that. Now what would you do next?

If I were doing this problem I would look for formulas for a triangle that involve only norms and inner products of the vectors forming the triangle's sides.

A = {2,1,2,4}
B = {4,1,6,2}

angle = arccos( (A.B)/(norm(A)*norm(B)) )

area = (1/2)A.B sin(angle)

Is this correct? if yes, it is easy to generalize for Rn.

LFCFAN said:
A = {2,1,2,4}
B = {4,1,6,2}

angle = arccos( (A.B)/(norm(A)*norm(B)) )

area = (1/2)A.B sin(angle)

Is this correct? if yes, it is easy to generalize for Rn.

You can make it a lot neater by expressing ##\sin(\arccos(u))## in a simpler way---just think about what ##\arccos(u)## actually means, and what that says about its sine.

One method: draw a triangle with angle [itex]\theta= arcos(u)[/itex]. Then, since cosine is "near side over hypotenuse", we can label the hypotenuse 1 and the near side u. By the Pythagorean theorem, the opposite side has length [itex]\sqrt{1- u^2}[/itex] so that [itex]sin(arcos(u))= sin(\theta)= \sqrt{1- u^2}/1= \sqrt{1- u^2}[/itex].

Or: since [itex]sin^(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1[/itex], [itex]sin(\theta)= \sqrt{1- cos^2(\theta)}[/itex]. So [itex]sin(arcos(u))= \sqrt{1- cos^2(\theta)}= \sqrt{1- cos^2(arcos(\theta))}=\sqrt{1- u^2}[/itex]

1. What is an n-dimensional triangle?

An n-dimensional triangle is a geometric shape that exists in n-dimensional space. In simpler terms, it is a triangle that exists in a space with more than three dimensions, such as four-dimensional or five-dimensional space.

2. How do you calculate the area of an n-dimensional triangle?

The formula for calculating the area of an n-dimensional triangle is (n-1)/n * base * height. The base and height are measured in the same unit as the dimension of the space (e.g. meters for a three-dimensional triangle).

3. Can the area of an n-dimensional triangle be negative?

No, the area of an n-dimensional triangle cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space within the triangle, and space cannot have a negative value.

4. Do all the sides of an n-dimensional triangle have to be equal for it to exist?

No, an n-dimensional triangle can exist with sides of varying lengths. However, in certain dimensions, such as two or three dimensions, an equilateral triangle (all sides equal) is the only possible shape.

5. Are there real-life applications for n-dimensional triangles?

Yes, n-dimensional triangles have applications in fields such as computer graphics, physics, and mathematics. They are used to model and understand complex systems and phenomena that exist in higher dimensions.