How to find the class in H^*(M)?

• Thread starter kakarotyjn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the conversation is about exercise 6.43 from Bott's Topology book which involves finding the Thom class for an oriented rank 2 bundle. The explicit formula for the Thom class is given as \Phi = d(\rho (r)\frac{{d{\theta _\alpha }}}{{2\pi }}) + \frac{1}{{2\pi i}}d(\rho (r){\pi ^*}\sum\limits_\gamma {{\rho _\gamma }d\log {g_{\gamma \alpha }}}) and the problem is to find the class u on M such that {\Phi ^2} = \Phi \wedge {\pi ^*}u. There is confusion about what
kakarotyjn
This is an exercise 6.43 from Bott's Topology book.I'm not asking it's solution,but ask something relative to it.

Let [tex] \pi :E \to M\ [/tex] be an oriented rank 2 bundle.[tex] \Phi = d(\rho (r)\frac{{d{\theta _\alpha }}}{{2\pi }}) + \frac{1}{{2\pi i}}d(\rho (r){\pi ^*}\sum\limits_\gamma {{\rho _\gamma }d\log {g_{\gamma \alpha }})} \ [/tex] is the explicit formula for the Thom class.As we know wedging with the Thom class is an isomorphism [tex] () \wedge \Phi :{H^*}(M) \to H_{cv}^{* + 2}(E)\ [/tex] .The problem is to find the class u on M such that
[tex] {\Phi ^2} = \Phi \wedge {\pi ^*}u{\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} in{\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} H_{cv}^*(E){\kern 1pt} [/tex]

My confusion is: What does [tex] {\Phi ^2}\ [/tex]means?Does it mean [tex] {\phi ^2}=\phi \wedge \phi [/tex]? If it is yes,then this is my caculation [tex] \Phi = d\rho (r)\frac{{d{\theta _\alpha }}}{{2\pi }} + \frac{1}{{2\pi i}}d\rho (r){\pi ^*}\sum\limits_\gamma {{\rho _\gamma }d\log {g_{\gamma \alpha }}} + \frac{1}{{2\pi i}}\rho (r){\pi ^*}\sum\limits_\gamma {d{\rho _\gamma }d\log {g_{\gamma \alpha }}} \ [/tex] and [tex] {\Phi ^2} = 2d\rho (r)\frac{{d{\theta _\alpha }}}{{2\pi }}\frac{1}{{2\pi i}}\rho (r)({\pi ^*}\sum\limits_\gamma {d{\rho _\gamma }d\log {g_{\gamma \alpha }})} + 2\frac{1}{{2\pi i}}d\rho (r)({\pi ^*}\sum\limits_\gamma {{\rho _\gamma }d\log {g_{\gamma \alpha }}} )\frac{1}{{2\pi i}}\rho (r)({\pi ^*}\sum\limits_\gamma {d{\rho _\gamma }d\log {g_{\gamma \alpha }})} + {(\frac{1}{{2\pi i}}\rho (r){\pi ^*}\sum\limits_\gamma {d{\rho _\gamma }d\log {g_{\gamma \alpha }}} )^2}\ [/tex],did I do it right?How can I find the class u?Could somebody give me hints?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Loring Tu wrote that book with Bott, and I bet he would be happy to answer this if you email him at Tufts.

mathwonk said:
Loring Tu wrote that book with Bott, and I bet he would be happy to answer this if you email him at Tufts.

Oh,Thank you!That was a great hint!:biggrin:

1. How do you determine the class in H^*(M) for a given manifold M?

The class in H^*(M) is determined by finding the cohomology group of M and then identifying the cohomology class that corresponds to the specific cohomology degree. This can be done using tools such as de Rham cohomology or singular cohomology.

2. What are the properties of the class in H^*(M)?

The class in H^*(M) has several properties, including linearity, Poincaré duality, and the cup product rule. These properties allow for computations and manipulations of the class in cohomology.

3. How does the class in H^*(M) relate to the topology of M?

The class in H^*(M) is a topological invariant of M, meaning that it remains the same even if the manifold is deformed or stretched. It captures information about the holes, handles, and other topological features of M.

4. Can the class in H^*(M) be visualized or geometrically interpreted?

In general, the class in H^*(M) cannot be easily visualized or geometrically interpreted. However, for specific manifolds and cohomology classes, there may be geometric interpretations or representations that aid in understanding the class.

5. How is the class in H^*(M) used in other areas of mathematics?

The class in H^*(M) is a powerful tool in algebraic topology, differential geometry, and other areas of mathematics. It is used to study the structure and properties of manifolds, and has applications in physics, engineering, and computer science.