How to find the distance between these elements?

• Thread starter futurebird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, the l2 metric space is complete, and to show this, every cauchy sequence in l2 converges to a sequence in l2.
futurebird
I'm studying the proof that the l2 metric space is complete and I just don't get something about this proof.

What I know:

1. l2 is the metric space whose elements are sequences that converge when you square each term and sum them. In other words, a sequence, f is in l2 if SUM( |f(k)|2) < infinity.
  2. The norm on this metric space is: (SUM( |f(k)|2))0.5 = || f ||2
  3. A sequence in the l2 space is a sequence of sequences (confusing isn't it?)
  4. To show that the space is complete I need to show that every cauchy sequence in l2 converges to a sequence in l2.
My book says:

Suppose that for e > o there exists n0 such that:

||fn - fm||2 < e when m, n >= n0.

I don't understand how to think about ||fn - fm||2.

Suppose fn = .1, .01, .001, ...
Suppose fm = .2, .02, .002, ...

How would I find ||fn - fm||2 computationally?

Do I do:

||fn - fm||2 = (|(.12 + .012, .0012 + ...) - (.22 + .022 + .0022 + ...)|)0.5
||fn - fm||2 = (|(.01 + .001, .0001 + ...) - (.04+ .004 + .0004 + ...)|)0.5
||fn - fm||2 = (|(.01 + .001, .0001 + ...) - (.04 + .004 + .0004 + ...)|)0.5
||fn - fm||2 = ( |1/90 - 4/90|)0.5
||fn - fm||2 = (3/90)0.5

or

[(.1 - .2)2 + (.01-.02)2, + ...]0.5 ?

I think it's the first way... but for some reason I'm confused. Deeply.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the second way. First find the difference between the sequences, then calculate the norm. Your first calculation is | ||fn|| - ||fm|| |.

Thanks dick... OK... So...

|| fn - fm||2 = [(.1 - .2)^2 + (.01-.02)^2 + ...]^0.5
|| fn - fm||2 = [(.1)^2 + (.01)^2 + ...]^0.5
|| fn - fm||2 = [.01 + .001 + ...]^0.5
|| fn - fm||2 = [1/90]^0.5

1 / sqrt(90) is about 0.105409255Grrr... Ok so:

|fn(k) - fm(k)| <= || fn - fm||2

|fn(k) - fm(k)| is the absolute difference between the kth terms in fn and fm ... sequences that are "close enough together" so that || fn - fm||2 < e.

Suppose

fn = .1, .01, .001, ...
fm = .2, .02, .002, ...
are that close together. This is saying that

.1 < = || fn - fm||2

.1 < = 0.105409255

Yay! it worked! I don't know why but it did!

Thanks!

God... but why is |fn(k) - fm(k)| <= || fn - fm||2?

I'm not quite seeing that...

Last edited:
Oh wait I think I see that now... it's like:

x-y <= sqrt((x-y)^2 + positive stuff or zero)I wish I knew what this was all about... It seems very disconnected from the other things in the course... I just don't know where it's going ...

futurebird said:
Oh wait I think I see that now... it's like:

x-y <= sqrt((x-y)^2 + positive stuff or zero)

I wish I knew what this was all about... It seems very disconnected from the other things in the course... I just don't know where it's going ...

You mean |x-y|. Yes, that's what it's like. BTW I get 1/sqrt(99) for your first example for ||fn-fm||. The common ratio in the geometric series is wrong. It's 1/100, not 1/10.

Dick said:
You mean |x-y|. Yes, that's what it's like. BTW I get 1/sqrt(99) for your first example for ||fn-fm||. The common ratio in the geometric series is wrong. It's 1/100, not 1/10.

ah yes.. see that now. OK... this proof is starting to make a little more sense to me now. Thank you!

1. What is the distance between two elements on the periodic table?

The distance between two elements on the periodic table is determined by their atomic numbers. The higher the atomic number, the further apart the elements are on the table. For example, the distance between hydrogen (atomic number 1) and helium (atomic number 2) is smaller than the distance between hydrogen and carbon (atomic number 6).

2. How is the distance between elements calculated?

The distance between elements is calculated using the periodic table's structure. The table is arranged in rows and columns based on the elements' atomic numbers. The distance between elements in the same row is larger than the distance between elements in the same column. This is because elements in the same row have similar properties, whereas elements in the same column have different properties.

3. Can the distance between elements change?

Yes, the distance between elements can change depending on the elements' physical and chemical properties. For example, the distance between hydrogen and oxygen atoms in a water molecule is smaller than the distance between two hydrogen atoms in a hydrogen gas molecule.

4. Is there a pattern to the distance between elements on the periodic table?

Yes, there is a pattern to the distance between elements on the periodic table. This pattern is known as periodicity and is based on the elements' atomic structure. Elements in the same row have similar properties, and elements in the same column have different properties, creating a repeating pattern of distances.

5. How is the distance between elements related to their chemical reactivity?

The distance between elements on the periodic table is related to their chemical reactivity. Elements in the same column have similar properties and tend to react in similar ways. As the distance between elements increases, their chemical reactivity may also change. For example, elements in the same column as oxygen have similar reactivity, but as the distance increases, elements like sulfur and selenium become less reactive than oxygen.