How to find the Domain , Range , matrix for the relation R

In summary: The domain is the set of all possible values for a in B, and the range is the set of all possible values for b in A. In (b), you are told that a multiple of b is a value that is a member of both A and B. So the range would be the set of all possible values for b in A, and the domain would be the set of all possible values for a in B.
zuhaira35
can anyone help me ?
i have a homework and i did't find any answer for it

the question is

find the Domain , Range , matrix and the digraph for the relation R

a ) A = { 1,2,3,4,8 } = B , aRb if and only if a=b

b) A = { 1,2,3,4,6 } =B , aRb if and only if a multiple of b

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello zuhaira35 and welcome to MHB! :D

We ask that our users show their progress (work thus far or thoughts on how to begin) when posting questions. This way our helpers can see where you are stuck or may be going astray and will be able to post the best help possible without potentially making a suggestion which you have already tried, which would waste your time and that of the helper.

Can you post what you have done so far?

zuhaira35 said:
can anyone help me ?
i have a homework and i did't find any answer for it

the question is

find the Domain , Range , matrix and the digraph for the relation R
a ) A = { 1,2,3,4,8 } = B , aRb if and only if a=b
b) A = { 1,2,3,4,6 } =B , aRb if and only if a multiple of b
If I had to do a problem like this, the first thing I would do is look up the definition of words I did not know! Do you know what "domain", "range", "matrix", and "digraph" mean here? Do you know what a "relation" is? Do you understand exactly what the relations referred to in (a) and (b) are?

A "relation" between two sets, A and B, (they may be the same set as here) is a collection of ordered pairs with the first member of each pair from A and the second from B. In (a) you are told that "aRb if and only if a= b" so it is the collection {(1, 1), (2, 2), (3, 3), (4, 4), (8, 8)}. Now, what are the "domain" and "range"?

Related to How to find the Domain , Range , matrix for the relation R

1. What is the domain of a relation?

The domain of a relation is the set of all possible input values or independent variables in a given relation. It is the set of values that can be substituted into the relation to produce a valid output.

2. How do you find the domain of a relation?

To find the domain of a relation, you need to identify all the possible input values or independent variables in the relation. This can be done by looking at the given set of ordered pairs or by examining the equation or graph of the relation.

3. What is the range of a relation?

The range of a relation is the set of all possible output values or dependent variables in a given relation. It is the set of values that are produced when the corresponding input values are substituted into the relation.

4. How do you find the range of a relation?

To find the range of a relation, you need to identify all the possible output values or dependent variables in the relation. This can be done by looking at the given set of ordered pairs or by examining the equation or graph of the relation.

5. What is a matrix for a relation?

A matrix for a relation is a way to represent the relation in a table format. The rows and columns of the matrix correspond to the input and output values of the relation, and the entries in the matrix represent the relationships between these values.