How to find the final height of a moving object

In summary, the armadillo has an initial velocity of 3.54 m/s as it leaves the ground and a velocity of 1.5 m/s at the height of 0.523 m. To find the height it goes, we can use the equation 2a(x-x_0)=v^2-v_0^2, where the "initial" velocity is 1.5 m/s and the "final" velocity is 0 m/s (since it reaches its maximum height). Therefore, the height the armadillo goes is 1.047 m.
lordloss

Homework Statement

A startled armadillo leaps upward, rising 0.523 m in the first 0.206 s. (a) What is its initial speed as it leaves the ground? (b) What is its speed at the height of 0.523 m? (c) How much higher does it go?

Homework Equations

The five Kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out A and B and got the following answers:

(a) 3.54 m/s

(b) 1.5 m/s

I just can't figure out the last part, C, on how to find how much higher the armadillo goes. Can anyone help me out with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use [tex]2a(x-x_0)=v^2-v_0^2[/tex]. Do you see how you can use this to solve (c)?

I'm using WileyPlus and its not taking any of the answers I have come up with.

I inserted all the variables into this modified equation to find the final x variable:

X=(V^2-V0^2+2aX0)/2a

Did I do the algebra wrong?

I keep getting 1.047m.

That's wrong, and it looks like you are plugging in the wrong velocities here.

For part (c), the armidillo's "initial" velocity is the 1.5 m/s it has at the 0.523 m height. It's "final" velocity is the velocity it has when it has reached it's maximum height (and that velocity is ____?)

1. How can I calculate the final height of a moving object?

The final height of a moving object can be calculated using the equation h = h0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where h is the final height, h0 is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Can I use the same equation to find the final height of objects moving at different angles?

No, the equation h = h0 + v0t + 1/2at2 can only be used for objects moving vertically. To find the final height of objects moving at angles, you will need to use trigonometry and consider the horizontal and vertical components of the motion.

3. Is the final height affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can affect the final height of a moving object. This is because air resistance acts as a force that opposes the motion of the object, causing it to slow down and potentially change its final height.

4. How can I account for air resistance in my calculation?

To account for air resistance, you can use the equation Fnet = ma to calculate the net force acting on the object, taking into account the force of gravity and the force of air resistance. This will allow you to calculate the new acceleration and adjust the final height calculation.

5. Can the final height of a moving object be negative?

Yes, the final height of a moving object can be negative if it starts at a higher height and experiences a downward acceleration due to gravity. This could happen, for example, if an object is dropped from a tall building and falls below ground level.