How to Find the General Element of (AB)^T for (AB)^T [AB transposed]

In summary, the professor got the correct answer, but I think it would have been helpful if he had explained what was happening step-by-step.
qwerty5

Homework Statement

Write the general element in terms of aij and bij for (AB)^T [AB transposed].

Homework Equations

(AB)^T = B^T*A^T; A=[aij]mxn; B=[bij]nxp

The Attempt at a Solution

n
AB= [sigma aik*bkj]mxp. Let this be equal to [xij]mxp
k=1
n
(AB)^T=[[sigma aik*bkj]mxp]^T
k=1

=[xji]pxm

n
=[sigma aki*bjk]mxp
k=1
n
so the general element xji=[sigma aki*bjk]
k=1

My teacher says this is wrong. Where did I go wrong?

------------------------
Alternate way I used to "check" my wrong answer:
n
(AB)^T=B^T*A^T=[bji]pxn[aji]nxm=[sigma bjk*aki]pxm=[sigma aki*bjk]pxm
k=1

We are using an differential equations/linear algebra textbook for engineers. It never discusses element-by-element proofs, and it leaves out many important differential equations topics, such as exact equations. I have a real diff eq book that my neighbor lent me, but I have to teach myself these types of problems through Wikipedia.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm really not certain what all that stuff that's not in LaTeX is, but consider this:

If [itex] A = \{a_{ij} \} [/itex] then you know that 1) [itex] A^T = \{ a_{ji} \} [/itex]
and you also know that 2) [itex] (AB)^T = B^T A^T [/itex].

Now if [itex] B = \{ b_{jk} \} [/itex] (where I've used the index "j" again since I know that j will iterate B in precisely the same manner as A for AB to make sense) you can write the matrix AB as [itex] AB = \displaystyle \left\{ a_{ij} b_{jk} \right\} [/itex]. Now let's say, that without being too rigorous, you were to apply the operations from 1) and 2) to this sum, what would you get?

[bkj][aij] ?

So I let A={a[tex]_{}ij[/tex]} and B={b[tex]_{}ij[/tex]}.

Then I know that A[tex]^{}T[/tex]={a[tex]_{}ji[/tex]} and B[tex]^{}T[/tex]={a[tex]_{}ji[/tex]}.

A typical element of the product B[tex]^{}T[/tex]A[tex]^{}T[/tex]={b[tex]_{}ji[/tex]a[tex]_{}ji[/tex]}.

However, B[tex]^{}T[/tex]A[tex]^{}T[/tex]={[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]^{}n[/tex][tex]_{}k=1[/tex]b[tex]_{}jk[/tex]a[tex]_{}kj[/tex]}.

Is this correct?

So I let A={a[tex]_{}ij[/tex]} and B={b[tex]_{}ij[/tex]}.

Then I know that A[tex]^{}T[/tex]={a[tex]_{}ji[/tex]} and B[tex]^{}T[/tex]={a[tex]_{}ji[/tex]}.

A typical element of the product B[tex]^{}T[/tex]A[tex]^{}T[/tex]={b[tex]_{}ji[/tex]a[tex]_{}ji[/tex]}.

The sum would therefore be: B[tex]^{}T[/tex]A[tex]^{}T[/tex]={[tex]\Sigma[/tex]b[tex]_{}jk[/tex]a[tex]_{}ki[/tex]} from k=1 to n.

Is this correct?

Max, I think we are both right.

What did the professor get?

Related to How to Find the General Element of (AB)^T for (AB)^T [AB transposed]

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It deals with the manipulation and analysis of vectors and matrices to solve systems of linear equations, as well as understanding the geometric representations of these equations.

2. Why is Linear Algebra important?

Linear algebra is used extensively in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It provides a powerful framework for solving problems involving multiple variables and equations, and has widespread applications in real-world scenarios.

3. What are the main concepts in Linear Algebra?

The main concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations, vector spaces, linear transformations, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. These concepts are used to represent and manipulate mathematical objects and solve problems in various applications.

4. How is Linear Algebra used in data analysis?

Linear algebra is used extensively in data analysis and machine learning. It is used to represent and manipulate large datasets, perform operations such as data compression and dimensionality reduction, and build predictive models based on linear relationships between variables.

5. What are some real-life applications of Linear Algebra?

Linear algebra has many real-life applications, including computer graphics, image and signal processing, cryptography, optimization, and economics. It is also used in fields such as robotics, navigation, and control systems to model and analyze complex systems.