How to find the total dB of two sounds?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Summer95
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Db
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Summer95
Messages
36
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The frequency of the two sounds is the same, and the observer is equal distance from either sound source. When one speaker is turned off the loudness is 70dB, what is the total loudness when it is turned back on?

Homework Equations


A2∝I
dB=10log(I/I0)

The Attempt at a Solution


$$10log(\sqrt{\frac{2A}{A}})=10log\sqrt{2}=1.5$$
and 70+1.5=71.5dB

but I do not see it done this way anywhere so I don't know what I'm doing wrong
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The square root comes from the equation for dB which is 10log(I/I0)

But if you are doubling the amplitude that part becomes √2 right?
 
Summer95 said:
The square root comes from the equation for dB which is 10log(I/I0)

But if you are doubling the amplitude that part becomes √2 right?
because Intensity is proportional to the root of amplitude.
 
Summer95 said:
because Intensity is proportional to the root of amplitude.
nevermind your right I had it the wrong way round