How to find the volume of this pulley?

In summary: There is no division by 2 in this equation.Ok, so if the formula for the area of a sector doesn't have a divisor of 2, then what is the divisor?There is no division by 2 in this equation.
SagarPatil

Homework Statement

The problem is asking to find the volume of this pulley
upload_2015-5-27_16-34-35.png

Formulas that is in the chapter.
Area = r^2*θ/(2)
Where θ is in radians

Homework Equations

I drew the drawing in solid works and got the volume to come out to 6.27 cubic inch. But I am not sure if this is the correct answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start. There is question in the chapter that is asking for the volume except this.

Physics news on Phys.org
SagarPatil said:

Homework Statement

The problem is asking to find the volume of this pulley
View attachment 84150
Formulas that is in the chapter.
Area = r^2*θ/(2)
Where θ is in radians

Homework Equations

I drew the drawing in solid works and got the volume to come out to 6.27 cubic inch. But I am not sure if this is the correct answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start. There is question in the chapter that is asking for the volume except this.

Volume is just Area * Thickness, correct? So start by finding the top area of the figure. It is composed of the pie-shaped arc and the cylinder, with part of each cut away.

Make a sketch of the top of the figure, and start adding and subtracting areas. Show us what you get... :smile:

Ok, makes sense

So,

Area of the sector = 5.270^2 * 0.97(rad) / 2 = 13.5
Area of the big circle = 1.23
Area of small circle = 0.2

I subtract 0.2 so it comes out to 14.53

14.53 * 0.250 = 3.63 cubic inch.

SagarPatil said:
Ok, makes sense

So,

Careful -- it looks like you may be double-counting a small piece of area. Do you see where it is?

Also, it's a good idea to carry units along in your calculations. A number without units can be a problem... :smile:

I don't see where I did wrong. I did it a couple of times and got the same answer.

SagarPatil said:
Ok, makes sense

So,

Your area for the sector is wrong, and as berkeman said, you're counting part of the area twice. You're calling the radius of the sector 5.270". You need to subtract off the part of the sector that is in the circular portion.
SagarPatil said:

SagarPatil said:
I don't see where I did wrong. I did it a couple of times and got the same answer.
If you do the same sequence of steps, but they aren't the right steps, you won't get the right answer. If you're careful, you'll get the same wrong answer twice.

Ok I understand that i am counting it twice
upload_2015-5-27_17-50-16.png

If I subtract 13.5-1.23-0.2 = 12.07 this gives me the area of the sector

So now

12.07 + 1.23 - 0.2 = 13.1 is the total area

13.1*0.250 = 3.275 cubic inch

is the answer correct ?

SagarPatil said:
Ok I understand that i am counting it twice
View attachment 84155
If I subtract 13.5-1.23-0.2 = 12.07 this gives me the area of the sector

So now

12.07 + 1.23 - 0.2 = 13.1 is the total area

13.1*0.250 = 3.275 cubic inch

Remember, subtracting the area of the hub, 1.23 in2, from the area of the sector, 13.5 in2, automatically includes the area of the hole, 0.20 in2. Subtracting 0.20 in2 for the hole again is incorrect.

Hello, I got it.

You so here is what I did

Area of the Big sector = 5.270^2 * 0.97(rad) / 2 = 13.5
Area of Small Sector = 0.625^2 * 0.97(rad) / 2 = 0.189

So,

13.5+1.23-0.2-0.189 = 14.341

14.341 * 0.250 = 3.58 in^3

Likes berkeman
Fix your formula for area.

theodoros.mihos said:
Fix your formula for area.
Do you want to elaborate on which formula Sagar wrote? He is showing four area calculations.

There is no division by 2.

theodoros.mihos said:
There is no division by 2.
Are you saying that the OP didn't divide by 2 or are you saying that the formula for the area of a sector shouldn't have a divisor of 2? If you are saying the latter, then you're mistaken. The area of a sector of a circle of radius r, where the sector subtends an arc of ##\theta## radians, is ##A = \frac 1 2 r^2 \theta##.

Likes theodoros.mihos

1. How do I measure the volume of a pulley?

The volume of a pulley can be measured by finding the area of the base and multiplying it by the height of the pulley. This can be done using a ruler or measuring tape to find the diameter of the base and a ruler or caliper to measure the height.

2. Does the shape of the pulley affect its volume?

Yes, the shape of the pulley does affect its volume. A pulley with a larger diameter will have a greater volume compared to a pulley with a smaller diameter, even if both have the same height.

3. What units should I use when finding the volume of a pulley?

The units used to measure the diameter and height of the pulley should be the same, such as inches or centimeters. The resulting volume will then be in cubic inches or cubic centimeters.

4. Can I use a formula to find the volume of a pulley?

Yes, there are several formulas that can be used to find the volume of a pulley depending on its shape. For a cylindrical pulley, the formula is V = πr²h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height. For a conical pulley, the formula is V = (1/3)πr²h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height.

5. How do I calculate the volume of a pulley if it has an irregular shape?

If the pulley has an irregular shape, it may be difficult to find the volume using traditional methods. In this case, you can use the water displacement method. Fill a container with water and record the starting volume. Then, place the pulley in the water and record the new volume. The difference between the two volumes is the volume of the pulley.