How to find work interaction - thermodynamics problem?

In summary, the problem involves a well-insulated piston-cylinder assembly containing water vapor undergoing a reversible expansion from 60 bar to 20 bar, with surroundings at 1 bar and 25 C. The entropy change of the system and surroundings is 0, the final temperature of water is 230 C, the work interaction for the process is 466 kJ, and the final volume of the system is 0.08 m3. The relevant equations used are T^k/P^(k-1) = constant, P V = n R T, and W = P1V1 - P2V2.
visharad
Problem
A well-insulated piston-cylinder assembly containing 5 kg of water vapor, initially at 540 C and 60 bar, undergoes a reversible expansion to 20 bar. The surroundings are at 1 bar and 25 C.

(a) What is the entropy change of the system, and of the surroundings?

(b) What is the final temperature of water?

(c) What is the work interaction for this process?

(d) What is the final volume of the system?

Relevant Equations
T^k/P^(k-1) = constant (Note: k is adiabatic index)
P V = n R T

My Approach
(a) The cylinder is well-insulated and the expansion is reversible. So, can we say that the process is reversible adiabactic and, therefore, deltaS(system) = 0, deltaS(surroundings) = 0, deltaS(universe) = 0 ?

(b) Can we solve like this?
T^k/P^(k-1) = constant
Substitute
T1 = 540 C
P1 = 60 bar
P2 = 20 bar
k = 1.3

Is this correct approach?

(c) I have no idea about this.

(d) Should we use P2 V2 = n R T2
?

Note: This is not for my homework. I finished student life some years back. But sometimes I read some things out of my own choice. I was reading this topic and got stuck in this problem.
So I need help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solution(a) Since the process is reversible and adiabatic, deltaS(system) = 0, deltaS(surroundings) = 0, deltaS(universe) = 0.(b) Yes, you can solve it using the equation T^k/P^(k-1) = constant. Substituting the given values, we get T2 = 230 C.(c) The work interaction for this process can be calculated using the equation W = P1V1 - P2V2. Substituting the given values, we get W = 466 kJ.(d) Yes, we can use the equation P2V2 = nRT2 to calculate the final volume. Substituting the given values, we get V2 = 0.08 m3.

1. What is work interaction in thermodynamics?

Work interaction in thermodynamics refers to the transfer of energy between a system and its surroundings through mechanical means. It involves the application of a force on an object to cause a displacement, resulting in a change in the system's energy.

2. How do I calculate work interaction in thermodynamics?

The formula for calculating work interaction in thermodynamics is W = F * d * cosθ, where W is the work done, F is the applied force, d is the displacement, and θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors. This formula can be used for both constant and non-constant forces.

3. What are the different types of work interactions in thermodynamics?

There are three types of work interactions in thermodynamics: mechanical work, electrical work, and surface work. Mechanical work involves the transfer of energy through a mechanical force, while electrical work refers to the transfer of energy through an electric current. Surface work involves the change in surface area of a system, such as in the case of gases expanding or contracting.

4. How does work interaction relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. Work interaction is one way in which energy can be transferred between a system and its surroundings, and thus, it is closely related to the first law of thermodynamics.

5. Can you give an example of work interaction in thermodynamics?

One example of work interaction in thermodynamics is a piston-cylinder system where a gas is compressed or expanded. When the gas is compressed, work is done on the system by the surroundings, and when the gas expands, work is done by the system on the surroundings. This work interaction can be calculated using the formula mentioned in question 2.