Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace How to get job in Aerospace Engineering?

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    I have an equivalent Master’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering from Polytechnics of Turin (Italy).
    I am permanent resident of the United States of America. I have been in the Country for over one year.
    I appreciate to have some advice about getting a job in aerospace field; I have been sending my resume at the biggest aeronautical company of the US.
    I am looking for entry level position, but seem impossible get in!

Thank you in advance for yours advices!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2009 #2
    Look at companies that manufacture components for aerospace vehicles.

4. Mar 9, 2009 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You picked a heck of a time to try to get a job. Bad timing is nothing you can do anything about.

I assume by permanent resident you mean that you don't have to keep renewing a visa every year. You may have issues with a non-citizen status.

You have to keep trying. The bigger companies, OEMs may be tougher to get in with. Like was already mentioned, you may want to look at suppliers first.

5. Mar 9, 2009 #4
    Antonio, you said you have "an equivalent Master’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering." That word "equivalent" always worried me back when I was in the position of hiring engineers because I always wondered just what it meant. Don't be surprised if you are questioned pretty closely about this.

6. Mar 9, 2009 #5
    You are not a US citizen, you just eliminated a good majority of aerospace jobs.

7. Mar 9, 2009 #6
    Dr.D,
    The Italian University system is different from the American.
    When I said that my degree is “equivalent” to a Master’s Degree I mean that I have a Credential Evaluation from a US institution which upon the evaluation of my course studies and Thesis, I have earned a 5-year University degree that is the same as a US Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering, specializing in Propulsion.

My Thesis was based on a University funded project I participated in, developing and testing the engines, carbon fiber rotors and fuselage of an UAV. I continued working on this project for 2 years after my graduation and completion of my Thesis.

Thank you for your attention!

8. Mar 9, 2009 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you have a green card? Impeccable references? A stellar resume?

This is a heck of a time to be looking for a job.

9. Mar 9, 2009 #8
    Permanent resident status means that I can work for any employer without sponsorship. A visa means you can work just if someone sponsors you...
    The only issue with a non-citizen status is that for now I am unable to work for some goverment/military clearance required jobs.

10. Mar 9, 2009 #9
    I know, it is very rough right now....!!

11. Mar 9, 2009 #10
    hence, why no one is hiring you. Who do you think Buys UAVs?

Even most civil companies for rotorcraft like sikorski require you to be a US citizen. Why dont you go back to Italy and work for Augusta?

12. Mar 9, 2009 #11
    Cyrus
    With my background I am able to work for any engineering field, thank God right now even with this tough economy I have a job.
    When I will be citizen maybe will be different, I could achieve my dreams.
    In the mean time why you do not try to go in Italy and work for Augusta?
    But first remember to get the italian citizienship....

13. Mar 9, 2009 #12
    Well, you are an Italian citizen, are you not? :confused:

14. Mar 9, 2009 #13
    Yes I am, and in few years I will be american citizen also. Have you ever herd about the dual citizienship?

15. Mar 9, 2009 #14

djeitnstine

Gold Member

There are tons of excellent european companies hiring right now, why tough it out in the US?

16. Mar 9, 2009 #15

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Stupid question on my part; permanent resident status is the same as having a green card.

How about my other two questions: Do you have impeccable references and a stellar resume? This is a heck of a time to be looking for a job in any field. Your field makes it extra difficult. Looking for a job as a foreigner in aerospace has been very tough since September 11, 2001. The much tighter ITAR rules in place since then makes it very, very hard to hire non-citizens. You have to be stellar.

17. Mar 9, 2009 #16
    Ok, so back to my original point. Have you tried obtaining a job in Augusta plant in Italy?

18. Mar 10, 2009 #17

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

DH had a good point. At my company, there are a lot of ITAR resrtictions that mandate a lot of legal work to allow a foreign person to even look at a machine or process. It is very cumbersome and a lot of work. You may be facing that no matter where you go.

Also, have you had anyone look at your resume and critique it?

19. Mar 10, 2009 #18
    FredGarvin
    Unfortunately I never had the opportunity here in US to have anyone look and critique my resume! But I am sure would be very constructive!

20. Mar 11, 2009 #19
    Antonio, here is what you do. Post your resume on Monster.com. You will be contacted by several hiring agencies. I get hits for aerospace work continually. One in particular is http://www.aerotek.com/" [Broken] you could contact them directly. They got me on with my current job and the salary is significant. You will most likely be working as a contractor for the first year while the hiring agency makes a few bucks off you for finding you the job. Then, if the company wants to keep you, they'll ask you what you want and make you an offer. Remember, if your not embarassed by what you ask for then you aren't asking enough... good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  21. Mar 12, 2009 #20
    Drankin,
    Thank you very much for your suggestion. I appreciated it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook