How to harness current from piezoelectric plates to charge a phone?

In summary: Thank you for your help!In summary, the students are in 8th grade and working on a project to put piezoelectric plates inside a pillow to harvest energy from the pressure of the head on the plate during the night to charge a phone. They have been doing research and are a little confused due to conflicting information. They are wondering about the necessary amps and volts, as well as the need for a capacitor and how to change a current. An expert advises that this method may not be very efficient and suggests considering other ways to harvest energy.
cnichols1999
Hello! We're in 8th grade and our doing a project-not homework. Our goal is to put piezoelectric plates inside a pillow and harvest the energy from the pressure of the head on the plate during the night and use it to charge a phone. However, from this point we are a little confused. We've been doing a lot of research but there's not a ton of information we've found so far and it's been conflicting. We know it would be best to experiment, but we don't want to buy unnecessary materials as we have a tight budget. So far we are think that the piezoelectric plates have wires-can't think of the technical name-that lead to a portable outlet that charges the phone. But how many amps and volts would we need? We found the number of volts necessary (we think), but not the amps. Also, we saw in some of our research about capacitors and direct vs. inverse current? Where would we get a capacitor and do we need one? How do you change a current? We have a lot of questions... any advice someone with expertise in the subject could give us on what materials we need, where to get the materials, how to build it, and the science behind it would be terrific! We are sort of new to this, so please explain any terminology beyond the basics. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I'm sorry, but I think you have the wrong idea about piezoelectricity and more generally about conservation of energy. There is no energy generated by anything under constant pressure. A piezoelectric device generates a voltage when deformed, but not continuously unless the energy absorbed during the deformation is not released. In other words, continuous power generation requires repeated deforming and releasing of the deformation - a vibration.

Sorry, we weren't assuming constant pressure...we assumed from tossing and turning during the course of the night it wouldn't be constant. So the pressure of the head wouldn't be fast enough deforming and releasing? We did know it had to release, just not the speed of. So this wouldn't be a way to harvest kinetic energy? Thank you!

I know one small disc can create a potential difference (voltage) of at least 1.7 V, because I have lit normal LEDs with them before. You can just grasp the two leads of the LED tightly against the two sides of the disc and flick it with your forefinger to see a flash.

As mentioned above, you really would need some kind of continuous vibration. One person used rainfall dripping through a long pipe, you can look at his project here:

There is some good links there as well. As for where to purchase, I like Digi-key.com. These discs are quite cheap, less than a dollar. You can also salvage them from many electronic devices that make sound.

In my opinion (not expert) the tossing and turning would not be enough. Perhaps over many nights it would work.

To use it, I think you will have to solder. One side has a white conductive paint covering the crystal, the other side is bare brass. You will need to put one wire on each side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Personally, I think this is a good idea for a project. You may not be able to charge your phone overnight but would certainly be able to get some charging depending on the mechanics of your "pillow". I say give it a try and collect data from different configurations. Presenting the results of the experiment would be a good learning experience.

If you haven't already found this, take a peek: http://www.piezo.com/tech2intropiezotrans.html

Likes 1 person
cnichols1999 said:
Hello! We're in 8th grade and our doing a project-not homework. Our goal is to put piezoelectric plates inside a pillow and harvest the energy from the pressure of the head on the plate during the night and use it to charge a phone. However, from this point we are a little confused. We've been doing a lot of research but there's not a ton of information we've found so far and it's been conflicting. We know it would be best to experiment, but we don't want to buy unnecessary materials as we have a tight budget. So far we are think that the piezoelectric plates have wires-can't think of the technical name-that lead to a portable outlet that charges the phone. But how many amps and volts would we need? We found the number of volts necessary (we think), but not the amps. Also, we saw in some of our research about capacitors and direct vs. inverse current? Where would we get a capacitor and do we need one? How do you change a current? We have a lot of questions... any advice someone with expertise in the subject could give us on what materials we need, where to get the materials, how to build it, and the science behind it would be terrific! We are sort of new to this, so please explain any terminology beyond the basics. Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

If you do use a piezo transducer, you will follow that with a Schottky diiode to rectify the output AC voltage spikes, and store that energy on a capacitor. You would then use a DC-DC converter to convert that stored voltage to the 5V that you want to have as the output.

But, from an overall engineering point of view (at least my point of view), this is a very inefficient way to try to harvest energy from a person moving about in a bed. Have you brainstormed other ways to harvest energy for this purpose? I can think of several better ways to do it, but before giving you some hints, I'd like to hear if you and your team have thought of other ways to harvest energy.

Yes, we have. However, they had already been done we learned upon googling and we wanted to do something original. We understand that it has to be a quick "squeeze and release" for lack of a better terms so we thought of a computer keyboard, a mouse, shoes, and the floor. All had been done. What is a Schottky diiode? Thank you!

cnichols1999 said:
Yes, we have. However, they had already been done we learned upon googling and we wanted to do something original. We understand that it has to be a quick "squeeze and release" for lack of a better terms so we thought of a computer keyboard, a mouse, shoes, and the floor. All had been done. What is a Schottky diiode? Thank you!

A Schottky diode is a circuit component that is used to "rectify" an AC waveform into a DC waveform. The output from a piezo sensor is AC (voltage spikes from pressure changes), and you need a DC voltage to be the source of the energy that you use to make a battery charger.

To illustrate some typical circuits that are used with piezo transducers to harvest energy, I used a Google Images search on Piezo Energy Harvesting Circuit, and got lots of good results:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en....9.0...0...1ac.1.32.img..0.12.988.bt6xYAZuYz4

And for more information of rectification and DC-DC converters, you can search for those on wikipedia to get introductory articles. :smile:

cnichols1999 said:

Also, from your reply, it sounds like the main focus of your project is to use a piezo transducer for the source of the energy harvesting. Can you consider other means for converting mechanical energy into electrical energy?

How about working some numbers to see if it's feasible? Start by working out how much energy you might expend raising and lowering your head against gravity in a typical night. Then assume you can capture some percentage of that. Multiply by the efficiency of the piezo etc.

berkeman said:
A Schottky diode is a circuit component that is used to "rectify" an AC waveform into a DC waveform. The output from a piezo sensor is AC (voltage spikes from pressure changes), and you need a DC voltage to be the source of the energy that you use to make a battery charger.

To illustrate some typical circuits that are used with piezo transducers to harvest energy, I used a Google Images search on Piezo Energy Harvesting Circuit, and got lots of good results:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en....9.0...0...1ac.1.32.img..0.12.988.bt6xYAZuYz4

And for more information of rectification and DC-DC converters, you can search for those on wikipedia to get introductory articles. :smile:

Thank you, this is very helpful. We will take advantage of this info and hopefully find another way to harness kinetic energy.

CWatters said:
How about working some numbers to see if it's feasible? Start by working out how much energy you might expend raising and lowering your head against gravity in a typical night. Then assume you can capture some percentage of that. Multiply by the efficiency of the piezo etc.

Is it against gravity or the force of it hitting the piezo? Sorry, little confused. Is their a particular equation to use? I found multiple on google...

berkeman said:
Also, from your reply, it sounds like the main focus of your project is to use a piezo transducer for the source of the energy harvesting. Can you consider other means for converting mechanical energy into electrical energy?

We could. From our limited knowledge and google we have not found much in our price range but we will continue to search.

dlgoff said:
Personally, I think this is a good idea for a project. You may not be able to charge your phone overnight but would certainly be able to get some charging depending on the mechanics of your "pillow". I say give it a try and collect data from different configurations. Presenting the results of the experiment would be a good learning experience.

If you haven't already found this, take a peek: http://www.piezo.com/tech2intropiezotrans.html

That link was great, thanks.

mishima said:
I know one small disc can create a potential difference (voltage) of at least 1.7 V, because I have lit normal LEDs with them before. You can just grasp the two leads of the LED tightly against the two sides of the disc and flick it with your forefinger to see a flash.

As mentioned above, you really would need some kind of continuous vibration. One person used rainfall dripping through a long pipe, you can look at his project here:

There is some good links there as well. As for where to purchase, I like Digi-key.com. These discs are quite cheap, less than a dollar. You can also salvage them from many electronic devices that make sound.

In my opinion (not expert) the tossing and turning would not be enough. Perhaps over many nights it would work.

To use it, I think you will have to solder. One side has a white conductive paint covering the crystal, the other side is bare brass. You will need to put one wire on each side.

If we need about 5 v to charge a phone that would be three discs...is there a certain way to arrange the discs so they don't cancel one another out or is that not a potential problem with piezoelectric discs? Thanks

berkeman said:
I'm not sure what you mean about price range, but here is a Google search that you should find applicable & interesting: Energy Harvesting Clothing

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...=hp..0.0j0i22i30l3.0.0.0.6402...0.3dMCLw-RwSg

:smile:

I thought you meant a different type of generator, those were more expensive. Our goal is to harvest kinetic energy from something no one has done yet, but perhaps we can build off this. Thanks! :)

As an alternate way to harness energy, does anyone know what type of small generator is used for capturing motion, like that of an arm swinging?

cnichols1999 said:
As an alternate way to harness energy, does anyone know what type of small generator is used for capturing motion, like that of an arm swinging?

What have you found so far on this question via Google?

berkeman said:
What have you found so far on this question via Google?

So far I have found not a specific name for anything we could either A, build, or B, buy. They have nanowires, but that is a recent development. Some websites also said that piezoelectric discs did that, but from my previous research I believed that piezoelectric discs released energy from mechanical pressure, not motion so I am somewhat confused on which it is for, or if it is for both? I have also found something that says motion-like an arm swinging-is vibrations and could therefor be used by anything that picks up on vibrations, but I don't know if that's true. There is a myriad of large generators, but not many small generators for our intents. In most cases they were given general terms, such as just generator and nothing very specific as to help us find it. There is also something called microgenerators, but I only found that on wikipedia and seems to be a broad term, so again not specific. I suppose I am asking if there is anyone who knows if A, piezoelectric works for motion or B, if anyone knows of anything else. I will continue to research the manner myself also obviously. My apologies, should have included this info in my original question.

cnichols1999 said:
So far I have found not a specific name for anything we could either A, build, or B, buy. They have nanowires, but that is a recent development. Some websites also said that piezoelectric discs did that, but from my previous research I believed that piezoelectric discs released energy from mechanical pressure, not motion so I am somewhat confused on which it is for, or if it is for both? I have also found something that says motion-like an arm swinging-is vibrations and could therefor be used by anything that picks up on vibrations, but I don't know if that's true. There is a myriad of large generators, but not many small generators for our intents. In most cases they were given general terms, such as just generator and nothing very specific as to help us find it. There is also something called microgenerators, but I only found that on wikipedia and seems to be a broad term, so again not specific. I suppose I am asking if there is anyone who knows if A, piezoelectric works for motion or B, if anyone knows of anything else. I will continue to research the manner myself also obviously. My apologies, should have included this info in my original question.

No need to apologize. As you can tell, we are trying to help you learn how to learn, in addition to helping you a bit in your thinking about the project. It's all good.

The energy harvesting clothing Google link that I posted earlier should help to answer many of your questions. Arm swinging is part of what they will be addressing with anything wearable.

The problem with piezo energy conversion from mechanical to electrical energy, is that piezo transducers are constrained to very small mechanical movement/displacement. That doesn't match head movements on a pillow. It's closer to the keyboard key strikes that you mentioned, but definitely not a good match for longer displacement, slow mechanical movements.

I'd recommend spending a bit more time with Google and Google Images. Try some search terms like biomechanical, energy harvesting, arm, etc. TBH I don't know the best answer to your question of what is the best way to harvest energy from arm movements, but I'm pretty sure that I could come up with some good answers using Google and refining my searches with some search terms. Pretty amazing what the modern search engines enable us to do... :smile:

Full disclosure -- I do not own stock in Google... :smile:

berkeman said:
No need to apologize. As you can tell, we are trying to help you learn how to learn, in addition to helping you a bit in your thinking about the project. It's all good.

The energy harvesting clothing Google link that I posted earlier should help to answer many of your questions. Arm swinging is part of what they will be addressing with anything wearable.

The problem with piezo energy conversion from mechanical to electrical energy, is that piezo transducers are constrained to very small mechanical movement/displacement. That doesn't match head movements on a pillow. It's closer to the keyboard key strikes that you mentioned, but definitely not a good match for longer displacement, slow mechanical movements.

I'd recommend spending a bit more time with Google and Google Images. Try some search terms like biomechanical, energy harvesting, arm, etc. TBH I don't know the best answer to your question of what is the best way to harvest energy from arm movements, but I'm pretty sure that I could come up with some good answers using Google and refining my searches with some search terms. Pretty amazing what the modern search engines enable us to do... :smile:

Alright. Thank you!

Quote by CWatters View Post

Is it against gravity or the force of it hitting the piezo? Sorry, little confused. Is their a particular equation to use? I found multiple on google...

I was suggesting you estimate the available energy that could possibly be harvested...

Lets assume that people lift their head 0.1m and allow it to drop back onto the pillow once every 5mins. Let's say the average head weighs around 5kg. If these figures sound unreasonable feel free to substitute your own estimate.

When it's raised 0.1m the potential energy of a head would be

PE = mgh = 5*9.8*0.1 = 5 Joules.

That would be converted to Kinetic Energy as the head falls. If they do that every 5mins then the available power is..

Power = energy/time = 5/(5*60) = 0.01W.

Some of that energy will be absorbed by the pillow rather than captured by the piezo electric energy harvesting device. I've no idea how to estimate that so we will assume all the energy is applied to the Piezo device somehow.

The next question is how much of the energy does the Piezo convert into electricity. I couldn't immediately google up a figure for the efficiency of a Piezo electric device but eventually found this reference from a 2010 paper...

http://www.mne.psu.edu/me345/Lectures/Piezoelectric_Energy.pdf

“Researchers at Princeton University have created” a piezoelectric material that “can harness 80 percent of the energy applied when it is flexed--four times more than existing flexible piezoelectric materials.”

So let's assume currently available models are 20% efficient. Again feel free to substitute your own figure.

That means you might be able to harvest..

0.01 * 20/100 = 0.002W

Which really isn't very much. I would also suggest it's an optimistic estimate.

1. How does piezoelectricity work?

Piezoelectricity is the ability of certain materials, such as crystals and ceramics, to generate electric charge in response to applied mechanical stress or pressure. This is due to the asymmetrical arrangement of positive and negative ions within the material, which creates an electrical potential when the material is deformed.

2. How can piezoelectric plates be used to charge a phone?

Piezoelectric plates can be attached to a phone in a way that allows them to be flexed or compressed when the phone is in use, such as through tapping or pressing on the screen. This mechanical stress on the plates will generate an electric charge, which can then be harnessed to charge the phone's battery.

3. What types of materials are commonly used for piezoelectric plates?

Materials that exhibit strong piezoelectric properties include quartz, tourmaline, and certain types of ceramics. These materials are often used to create small, thin plates that can easily be incorporated into electronic devices like phones.

4. Is it possible to charge a phone solely using piezoelectric plates?

While piezoelectric plates can generate electric charge, the amount of power they produce is relatively small. This means that it would take a large number of plates, or a very long time, to fully charge a phone. Therefore, it is more practical to use piezoelectricity as a supplemental source of energy rather than the sole source.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using piezoelectric plates to charge a phone?

One potential drawback is that piezoelectric plates can only generate electricity when they are under stress, so the phone would need to be in use for the plates to be effective. Additionally, the plates may add extra weight or bulk to the phone, and their positioning may be limited in order to maintain their functionality. However, the benefits of using renewable energy to charge a phone may outweigh these potential drawbacks.