How to Integrate a Numeric Solution to a Differential Equation in Maple?

In summary, to integrate a numeric solution to a differential equation in Maple, you must first convert the solution to a function using the "unapply" command. Then, you can use the "int" command to integrate the function with respect to the desired variable. For example, if the solution is stored in the variable "sol", the command would be "int(unapply(rhs(sol), x), x = 0 .. p)".
zeebo17
Hi,

I have a question about integrating an numeric solution to a differential equation in Maple. I have solved a system of 3 odes:
sol := dsolve({initial, syst}, func, numeric)
where
syst := diff(OmegaLambda(x), x) = ode1, diff(OmegaK(x), x) = ode2, diff(lnH(x), x) = ode3.

This then gives me analytic solutions as a function of x to the 3 odes and I can plot, say the third solution, by defining
lnH2 := x-> rhs(op(4, sol(x)))
and plotting lnH2.

Now I want to integrate something that is a function of lnH2 with respect to x. However, I'm not sure how to do that. It doesn't seem to recognize that it is a function of x when doing:
int(exp(lnH2), x = 0 .. p).
It just thinks that exp(lnH2) is a constant.

Does anyone know what the syntax is for integrating an numeric solution??
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. Integrating a numeric solution to a differential equation in Maple can be done using the "int" command. However, it is important to note that the numeric solution must be converted to a function first before it can be integrated.

To do this, you can use the "unapply" command to convert the solution to a function. For example, if your solution is stored in the variable "sol" and you want to integrate it with respect to x, you can use the following command:

int(unapply(rhs(sol), x), x = 0 .. p)

This will convert the solution to a function and then integrate it with respect to x from 0 to p.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How to Integrate a Numeric Solution to a Differential Equation in Maple?

1. What is an analytic solution in Maple?

An analytic solution in Maple refers to a mathematical expression or formula that can be solved exactly using the built-in functions and algorithms in the Maple software. This means that the solution can be represented in a closed form, without any approximation.

2. How does Maple find analytic solutions?

Maple uses symbolic computations to manipulate mathematical expressions and equations. It has a vast collection of built-in functions and algorithms that allow it to solve various types of equations and systems of equations. Maple also has the ability to simplify solutions and present them in a more readable format.

3. Can Maple find analytic solutions for all types of equations?

No, Maple cannot find analytic solutions for all types of equations. Some equations are too complex or do not have a closed-form solution. In these cases, Maple may provide a numerical solution or an approximate solution instead. It is always important to check the validity of the solution provided by Maple.

4. How can I input an equation in Maple to find an analytic solution?

To input an equation in Maple, you can use the "solve" function or the "=" operator. The "solve" function allows you to specify the equation and the variable you want to solve for, while the "=" operator lets you define the equation and its solution in one line. You can also use the "fsolve" function to find numerical solutions for equations.

5. Can I customize the output of analytic solutions in Maple?

Yes, you can customize the output of analytic solutions in Maple by using various formatting options. For example, you can use the "simplify" function to simplify the solution, the "factor" function to factorize it, or the "collect" function to group similar terms. You can also use the "evalf" function to convert the solution to a numerical value with a specified number of digits.