1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make a 300 foot hill?

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1
    What would be the easiest way to build a 300 foot hill -- one with a slope gentle enough to ski on in the winter?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Do you mean 300 ft long, or 300 ft high? Either way, you've got your work cut out for you. I'd really try to find a pre-existing one, but I suppose that you've already ruled that out. You'll need heavy equipment, in any event. Maybe if you sweet-talk Brewnog enough, he'll send over one of those nice big yellow toys. :biggrin:
    My strictly amateur opinion is that you should cut your work in half by excavating a long, sloping trench to half of the height (depth) that you want, and piling the dirt up in a matching ramp that extends from it. That way you'll have a 300 ft high slope, but only 150 ft needs to be built up.
    Very seriously here, despite that it might sound like a joke: I'd approach everyone in your vicinity and see if they'd be willing (if zoning allows) to start a landfill type setup on your property. Once there's enough garbage (meticulously compacted, of course) piled up, you can cover it with a layer of dirt and be done with it. You'd have to check into all of the possible negatives, though, such as smell, spontaneous combustion, etc..

4. Jan 23, 2006 #3
    I agree, but you will wind up with a large hole which will need pumps and have to ensure that your cut slopes are stable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook