Calculating the Distance a Rock Travels Up a Sloped Hill

  • Thread starter Thread starter eglaud
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hill Rock
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
eglaud

Homework Statement


A rock approaches the foot of a hill with a speed of 16 m/s. The hill has a slope of 23 degrees, how far up the hill does the rock travel?

Homework Equations


KE = PE

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried mv2/2 = mgy but I know this isn't right since I don't use theta at all. What do I do to change this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the equation KE = PE - W? This is what I did before, but I am unsure why except that I can plug in the angle, but I forgot to include this HILL IS FRICTIONLESS so I wouldn't have thought to use this.
 
eglaud said:

Homework Statement


A rock approaches the foot of a hill with a speed of 16 m/s. The hill has a slope of 23 degrees, how far up the hill does the rock travel?

Homework Equations


KE = PE

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried mv2/2 = mgy but I know this isn't right since I don't use theta at all. What do I do to change this?

Have you drawn a picture?
 
RedDelicious said:
Have you drawn a picture?

Yes, it looks like a rock moving towards a triangle
 
eglaud said:
how far up the hill does the rock travel?

eglaud said:
mv2/2 = mgy
Presumably your y is the vertical ascent, but I don't think that is quite what the question is asking for.
 
Hello everybody. Sorry for my english. I am not native. I think you must calculate de kinetic Energy at the bottom of the hill. Then, you must calculate the position (dependent with the angle) at the velocity is 0 m/s.
 
AgusCF said:
Hello everybody. Sorry for my english. I am not native. I think you must calculate de kinetic Energy at the bottom of the hill. Then, you must calculate the position (dependent with the angle) at the velocity is 0 m/s.
I think eglaud understands that but has not interpreted the question correctly. See my post #6.
 
haruspex said:
I think eglaud understands that but has not interpreted the question correctly. See my post #6.
Ouch! Yeap you are right! And I think that the problem wants to calculate the distance that the rock goes up on the lateral of the hill.