1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make a compass?

1. Apr 11, 2005 #1
    How can you make a compass without using iron or other ferromagnetic material?

At first, I thought to use a needle, but I was told that that was steel, and therefore iron. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2
    hmm

i seem to remember a plastic rod that someone charged with wool hanging on a thread or something im sorry i don't remember more but wouldn't the charge attract to something?

4. Apr 11, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We're talking about the interaction between Earth's magnetic field and the needle of the compass.Ferromagnetic substances have such an internal structure that allows to have a nonzero macroscopical magnetization,even in the absence of an external magnetic field.Therefore,they're really suited for compass needles.

Daniel.

5. Apr 12, 2005 #4

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, I'm not one for answering physics questions but can't you connect a copper wire in the form of a loop to battery terminals, hang it, and it will orientate itself in the earth's magnetic field? However, it's dangerous since the battery can explode with the large current discharging. Or should I just stick to math?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?