How to Make a Non-Iron Compass

• Thread starter chase222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compass
In summary, there are a few potential ways to make a compass without using iron or other ferromagnetic materials. One idea is to use a plastic rod charged with wool and suspended on a thread, but there are concerns about the charge attracting to something. Another suggestion is to use a copper wire loop connected to battery terminals, but this method is dangerous. Ultimately, ferromagnetic materials are best suited for compass needles due to their internal structure and ability to maintain a magnetization.
chase222
How can you make a compass without using iron or other ferromagnetic material?

At first, I thought to use a needle, but I was told that that was steel, and therefore iron. Any ideas?

Likes Blabla
Physics news on Phys.org
hmm

i seem to remember a plastic rod that someone charged with wool hanging on a thread or something I am sorry i don't remember more but wouldn't the charge attract to something?

Likes Blabla
We're talking about the interaction between Earth's magnetic field and the needle of the compass.Ferromagnetic substances have such an internal structure that allows to have a nonzero macroscopical magnetization,even in the absence of an external magnetic field.Therefore,they're really suited for compass needles.

Daniel.

Likes Blabla
chase222 said:
How can you make a compass without using iron or other ferromagnetic material?

At first, I thought to use a needle, but I was told that that was steel, and therefore iron. Any ideas?

Well, I'm not one for answering physics questions but can't you connect a copper wire in the form of a loop to battery terminals, hang it, and it will orientate itself in the Earth's magnetic field? However, it's dangerous since the battery can explode with the large current discharging. Or should I just stick to math?

Likes Blabla

1. How does a compass work?

A compass works by utilizing the Earth's magnetic field, which is created by the movement of molten iron in the planet's core. The needle of a compass is a small magnet that aligns itself with the Earth's magnetic field, pointing towards the Earth's magnetic north pole.

2. What materials do I need to make a compass?

To make a basic compass, you will need a magnet (such as a needle or bar magnet), a small piece of cork or foam, a shallow dish of water, and a small piece of paper or cardboard.

3. How do I make a compass?

To make a compass, first magnetize your needle by rubbing it against a magnet in one direction several times. Then, place the needle on top of the cork or foam and gently push it through the center. Place the cork and needle on the surface of the water in the dish, making sure the needle is able to move freely. The needle should eventually settle and point towards the Earth's magnetic north pole.

4. Can I make a compass without a magnet?

Technically, you can make a compass without a magnet by using a piece of wire and a battery to create an electromagnet. However, this method may not be as reliable as using a traditional magnet.

5. Is it possible to make a compass that points to true north?

Yes, it is possible to make a compass that points to true north by taking into account the difference between magnetic north and true north (known as declination) and adjusting the orientation of your compass accordingly. However, for basic compass-making purposes, simply pointing towards magnetic north is usually sufficient.