How to plot vector fields in Matplotlib

In summary, the conversation discusses how to plot a vector field using the vector components and a grid. The code provided includes defining the components, creating a grid, standardizing the arrows, and drawing the figure. The issue of ensuring the arrows are not too long is addressed, with a suggestion to use normalize and length parameters in the ax.quiver() function. The poster also mentions seeking further assistance on Stack Overflow.
JD_PM
Hi, I want to plot the vector field ##\vec F = ye^x \hat i + (x^2 + e^x) \hat j + z^2e^z \hat k##

The code I have tried:

Python:
# The components of the vector field

F_x = y*e**x

F_y = x**2 + e**x

F_z = z**2*e**z# The grid

xf = np.linspace(-0.15, 2.25, 8)

yf = np.linspace(-0.15, 2.25, 8)

zf = np.linspace(-0.75, 2.50, 8)

X_grid, Y_grid, Z_grid = np.meshgrid(xf, yf, zf)# The arrows; how to deal with them?

dx = 1

#dy = ...

#dz = ...# Standardize the arrows; In this way all arrows have the same length.

length = np.sqrt(dx**2 + dy**2 + dz**2)

dx_N = dx/length

dy_N = dy/length

dz_N = dz/length#how to involve numpy in the process??# Drawing the figure

fig, ax = plt.subplots(1, 1)

ax.quiver(X_grid, Y_grid, Z_grid, dx_N, dy_N, dz_N, dy, dz, cmap=plt.get_cmap('gnuplot2'))

plt.show()

I am stuck in how to make sure that the arrows are not too long (I know I have to use length, but how?).

I attach next an example I am following of a plot of another vector field (##V = \hat i + xy \hat j##).

Python:
# The function to be applied
def rightmember(x, y):
    return x*y

# The grid
x = np.linspace(-3, 3, 25)
y = np.linspace(-3, 3, 25)
X_grid, Y_grid = np.meshgrid(x, y)

# The arrows
dx = 1
dy = rightmember(X_grid, Y_grid)

# Standardize the arrows; In this way all arrows have the same length.
length = np.sqrt(dx**2 + dy**2)
dx_N = dx/length
dy_N = dy/length

# Drawing the figure
fig, ax = plt.subplots(1, 1)
ax.quiver(X_grid, Y_grid, dx_N, dy_N, dy, cmap=plt.get_cmap('gnuplot2'))

plt.show()

I have posted the same question on SO: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55759028/how-to-plot-a-vector-field-using-numpy

Thank you for your help.

Technology news on Phys.org
I am not too knowledgeable about vector plots in Python, however, a quick google search yielded: https://matplotlib.org/gallery/mplot3d/quiver3d.html
and they seem to have set:
- normalize = True
- length = 0.1

in the ax.quiver() in line 21...

Hope that is of some use.

Likes JD_PM

1. How do I plot a vector field in Matplotlib?

To plot a vector field in Matplotlib, you can use the quiver() function. This function takes in the x and y coordinates of the starting point of each vector, the x and y components of the vector, and optional parameters such as color and scale. You can also use the streamplot() function to create a streamplot of the vector field.

2. How can I customize the appearance of my vector field plot?

There are several ways to customize the appearance of your vector field plot in Matplotlib. You can use optional parameters in the quiver() and streamplot() functions, such as color, scale, and linewidth. Additionally, you can use the plt.quiverkey() function to add a legend to your plot.

3. Can I plot multiple vector fields on the same plot?

Yes, you can plot multiple vector fields on the same plot in Matplotlib. You can use the quiver() function multiple times with different sets of coordinates and vector components. You can also use the hold() function to prevent the plot from being cleared before each new set of vectors is plotted.

4. How do I change the size and shape of the arrows in my vector field plot?

To change the size and shape of the arrows in your vector field plot, you can use the scale parameter in the quiver() and streamplot() functions. This parameter allows you to specify a scaling factor for the length of the arrows. You can also use the width and headwidth parameters to adjust the width and size of the arrowheads.

5. Is it possible to plot a 3D vector field in Matplotlib?

Yes, it is possible to plot a 3D vector field in Matplotlib using the quiver() function. This function can take in three sets of coordinates and three sets of vector components to create a 3D vector field plot. You can also use the streamplot() function to create a 3D streamplot. Additionally, you can use the ax.quiver() and ax.streamplot() functions to create 3D plots on specific axes.