How to power 375 watt 12vdc motor ?

In summary: You can use a lawn-mower battery to power the 375 watt 12vdc motor (30 Amp) on the trailer dolly. The battery will only run the motor for a short time, and you should recharge it when you get back home.
digitalis49
Hi all.
I am new to this great forum but have perused it many times past picking up some great knowledge.

PROBLEM:
======
I have a rather heavy trailer dolly fitted with a 375 watt 12vdc motor (30amps?).

I know I can mount a 12vdc battery to drive the unit but adding a battery would make the dolly unbearably heavy.

QUESTION:
=======
Can I use a 240vac battery charger (in lieu of a 12v battery) to power the dolly?
I do have an "automatic" 6v/12v, 2A/6A/12A charger which also has a battery start switch.

Please, I am not "electrically" minded so your input here will be welcomed.
[Have searched previous posts but nothing found relating to my motor spec]

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, you cannot operate the 375 watt 12 Volt motor (30 Amp) with a battery charger.

The charger will not provide the power needed. It only "trickle charges" batteries, that means only a small amperage is delivered for a long time period to charge the battery. It does not have the capacity (power) to provide all those amps!

Thank you Bobbywhy.

Is there some other device I could use ?

You could use a computer power supply. The yellow wires supply 12 vdc.

Some lighter models may not be able to produce the 31 Amps that you need. Usually this specification is printed on the side or (if you haven't bought it yet) found on the package or the internet.

Thank you.
PC Power Supply is worth a try but, sorry, I just don't know what P/supply to specify.

Thanks.

This one would run it. Under the details tab it says the 12v lines will run 53A (and is the cheapest I seen) for <$100. Be careful on what you buy, just because the wattage is over what you need doesn't mean the 12v line will run at that power rating. Good luck!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

I recommend that you do not buy a computer power supply to drive your 12Volt 30 Amp motor. Will you always have your motor near the 120/240 volt mains? Or do you need it to be portable...that is, operate on batteries alone? Then, find out how others operate this motor on the trailer dolly. See

http://www.google.com/#q=dc+motor+c...gc.r_pw.&fp=3bc338c3fea2af31&biw=1311&bih=656

and

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-...gc.r_pw.&fp=d4fef76b0862cf97&biw=1311&bih=656

Google is your friend. Learn to use it for your questions and doubts.

what about a lawn-mower battery? less than half the weight of a car battery and around $23 at Wal mart. Lawn-Garden-Tractor battery they're called, LGT...
i use one in my little boat.

okay for runs of a minute or so at your 30 amps.
use a 4 amp charger to top it off before you leave home, recharge it when you get back. don't store any battery discharged.

1. How do I determine the power source for a 375 watt 12vdc motor?

In order to power a 375 watt 12vdc motor, you will need a power source that can supply at least 375 watts of power and a voltage of 12 volts. This can be achieved with a battery, power supply, or other energy source that meets these specifications.

2. Can I use multiple power sources to power a 375 watt 12vdc motor?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple power sources to power a 375 watt 12vdc motor. However, it is important to ensure that the combined power output and voltage of the sources meet the motor's requirements.

3. How do I calculate the amperage needed for a 375 watt 12vdc motor?

To calculate the amperage needed for a 375 watt 12vdc motor, you can use the formula: amperage = wattage / voltage. In this case, the amperage required would be 31.25 amps (375 watts / 12 volts).

4. What type of power supply is best for a 375 watt 12vdc motor?

The best type of power supply for a 375 watt 12vdc motor depends on the specific application and requirements. Some common options include lead-acid batteries, lithium-ion batteries, and AC/DC power supplies. It is important to choose a reliable and efficient power supply that can handle the motor's power needs.

5. Is it safe to operate a 375 watt 12vdc motor?

As with any electrical device, it is important to take necessary precautions when operating a 375 watt 12vdc motor. This includes properly connecting the power source and ensuring that the motor is not overloaded. It is also important to follow proper safety guidelines and use protective gear when necessary.