1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove that the sum of two rotating vectors in an ellipse?

1. Aug 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Within the xy-plane, two vectors having lengths P and Q rotate around the z-axis with angular velocities ω and –ω. At t = 0,these vectors have orientations with respect to the x axis specified by θ1 and θ2. How do I find the orientation of the major axis of the resulting ellipse relative to the x-axis.

3. The attempt at a solution

P=|p|cos(θ1+ωt) x^+ |p|sin(θ1+ωt) y^
    Q=|q|cos(θ1+ωt) x^+ |q|sin(θ1+ωt) y^

x^- x hat
    y^-y hat

How do I solve this after these 2 equations?
    I tried to group the x and y vectors separately. But i could not figure out anything after that.

X= |p|cos(θ1+ωt)+|q|cos(θ1+ωt)
    Y=|p|sin(θ1+ωt)+ |q|sin(θ1+ωt)

Without the θ terms I could have just squared both sides and added it. But now I am stuck. Thank you for the help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The expressions are not correct.
    The vectors have length P and Q, use them instead of |p| and |q|.
    The vectors rotate in opposite directions (the angular velocities are ω and -ω).
    One vector encloses θ1 angle with the x axis at t=0, the other one encloses θ2.

Expand the cosine and sine terms in the expression for X and Y, collect the terms with cos(ωt) and sin(ωt).
    There is an easy method to find the angle of the principal axis: Just think that the vectors rotate in opposite directions, and there is a time instant when they are on the same line, so the resultant has the longest length.
    ehild

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook