1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to read this equation

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    Just having trouble determining what they mean by "The charge to mass ratio for a singly ionized benzene molecule is e/(78u)=1235712.07908557C/kg."

For this, what would be the charge and what would be the mass?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The single charge is a fundamental charge (equal to that on a proton, since 'singly ionized' means that the molecule has lost a single electron). The mass unit is an amu: atomic mass unit, also known as a dalton. Equivalent to 1.660538921 x 10-27 kg.

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3
    I see. So to clarify q = 1.602 x 10-19 & m = 78*u = 1.295 x 10-25?

5. Apr 13, 2012 #4

gneill

Those are the numbers.

6. Apr 13, 2012 #5
    But where does that large given number come in?

7. Apr 13, 2012 #6

gneill

I have no more information than what you stated in the first post. Where did you get the number, and in what context?

8. Apr 13, 2012 #7
    Ah well I figured it out, what they mean is e/m = charge to mass ratio. The context doesn't add much to figuring out what it means however, it just sets up the question.

As in every time e/m is encountered for the rest of the question, 1.26 x 106 (the long number of C/kg units) would be its value, which makes sense since it is asking for charge over mass. Kind of tricky too though...

I had initially thought we needed to find the individual values of q and m, which is why I asked where the large number came into play. Thanks for the info about amu though!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook