Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to retrieve a lost file

1. May 26, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone,

I have the following problem. I saved a file and when I was going to open it, it didn't have the changes I made to it, it was a completely different file. Does anyone know what might have happened and if there's a way to retrieve it? I use Microsoft Word 2003

Thank you,

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

You're saying that the original file without the changes now has a different name than the original and a search of the old name doesn't find the file? Can you be a bit more specific?

When you say "retrieve" do you mean find your changes? If the changes weren't actually saved, there would be nothing to retrieve.

Have you looked at your recently viewed documents list?
  4. May 26, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

I think what s/he means is that the file is the same (ie same name), just the content went awry.
  5. May 26, 2008 #4
    not that I know of. If it was SAVED and than deleted, than there is a way
  6. May 29, 2008 #5
    Well, the file was saved, it might have been overwritten. If in fact was, is there a way to find it, does MS Word make backups of previous versions?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?