How to setup a LAN (via phone line)?

• Thread starter eNathan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, to set up a LAN (local area network) using a phone line, you will need to purchase a phone-line network kit or a wireless router. Regular 56K modems cannot be used for this purpose. Alternatively, you can use a wireless router or access point if your laptop has wireless capabilities. If not, you can use a router with the cable modem from Comcast to connect both your computer and laptop. It may be necessary to purchase Ethernet hardware if your laptop does not have it already. Once all necessary equipment is in place, you can run the network connection wizard to complete the setup.
eNathan
How to setup a LAN (via phone line)?

Hi. I recently bought a laptop that comes with a standard 56K modem. I also have a main desktop computer which has a broadband cable connection (Comcast). Now I know a lot about software based things, but I am totally clueless with it comes to hardware.

Is it posible to connect my laptop to my main desktop computer using a regular phone cord? Or do I need a router or have to buy some other equitment? :uhh:

Any help would be great thanks! :cool:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes they do sell phone-line network kits but you need to use proprietary hardware. You can't just use your regular old 56k modem. Why don't you get a wireless router or access point? I bet the laptop has wireless cababilities already.

Get a router. If the laptop does not have wireless capabilities, it probably has ethernet capbilities at least. Use the router in conjuction with the cable modem from Comcast and you can hook both your computer and laptop to the router. With a wireless router, you could use any wireless capabilities your laptop may have and still have 4 (on the entry-level routers) wired ports for your computer (and up to 3 more wired computers).

Sadly my laptop did not come with Ethernet hardware, but I already bought some off of Ebay. I guess I'll have to buy a router too hehe.

After all that, I assume I just run the network connection wizard and it will work :)

Thanks alot

1. How do I connect my phone line to my computer for LAN setup?

First, you will need to obtain a modem that allows you to connect your phone line to your computer. Most modems come with instructions on how to connect it to your computer. Once connected, you can proceed with the LAN setup.

2. Do I need any special equipment for setting up a LAN via phone line?

Yes, you will need a modem, as mentioned earlier, and an Ethernet cable to connect your modem to your computer. You may also need a router if you want to connect multiple devices to the LAN.

3. How do I configure my computer for a LAN setup?

You will need to access your computer's network settings and select the option to set up a new network or LAN connection. Follow the prompts to configure the settings and make sure to select "phone line" as the connection type.

4. Can I use a wireless phone line for the LAN setup?

Technically, yes, you can use a wireless phone line for the LAN setup. However, the connection may not be as stable or fast as a wired connection. It is recommended to use a wired phone line for better performance.

5. How many devices can I connect to the LAN via phone line?

This will depend on the capabilities of your modem and router. Typically, you can connect up to 4 devices with a standard modem and router setup. If you need to connect more devices, you may need to upgrade to a more advanced router.