How to solve for coefficient of static friction with mass

In summary: You might also be able to find a kinematics calculator that can help you solve the equations for Fnet.
Don2727
Its for my final project. We are doing a sliding a textbook down an *incline plane* and we are expected to find coefficient of static friction without using Newton guage, and we are also now allowed to use kinematics. I just need some infomration on how to do this, like a formula or something in that sort, thanks in advance. I need this before tonight, so anything after 9pm wouldn't be nessecary as i would be sleeping :P thanks in advance

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Fs = UsN but we don't have force..

The Attempt at a Solution

no attempt yet

Physics news on Phys.org
Don2727 said:
Its for my final project. We are doing a sliding a textbook down an *incline plane* and we are expected to find coefficient of static friction without using Newton guage, and we are also now allowed to use kinematics. I just need some infomration on how to do this, like a formula or something in that sort, thanks in advance. I need this before tonight, so anything after 9pm wouldn't be nessecary as i would be sleeping :P thanks in advance

Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations

no attempt yet [/B][/B]
Welcome to the PF.

Start by drawing a free body diagram (FBD) of the book on the inclined plane. Label all the forces on the book. Then find the angle where the book just starts to slip. Hint -- the mass of the book will end up canceling out of the equations... Please show us your FBD and your calculations... :smile:

Don2727 said:

Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations

no attempt yet [/B][/B]
I don't know what timezone you are in, so I cannot tell how much time you have. Anyway, you do need to post complete information (what is the equipment set-up? What can you measure?) and show some attempt, even if it is just some thoughts.
Do you know how to draw a free body diagram? What relationship do you know between force and acceleration?

See I have no calculations because I just don't understand what we are supposed to do with *JUST MASS* , I searched it up and realized a lot of people talking about angles and stuff. Can you please (not teach me) but inform me on the basics on how to use mass to find static coefficient. Here is the fbd assuming its accelerating eastwards

m0OmqsO.png

haruspex said:
I don't know what timezone you are in, so I cannot tell how much time you have. Anyway, you do need to post complete information (what is the equipment set-up? What can you measure?) and show some attempt, even if it is just some thoughts.
Do you know how to draw a free body diagram? What relationship do you know between force and acceleration?

Like I said, we have a incline plane, and we are putting a textbook ontop of it and letting it go down. We are given the mass of the textbook. We are not allowed to use kinematics or a Newton guage, so all I have is mass. I am supposed to find the Coefficient of static friction of the textbook on the incline plane. I know how to make a FBD (as shown above), and I know that Fnet = ma, and I know how to setup fnet equations. I just don't understand what I can do with this single mass given to me to find the coefficient.

I am eastern time zone, and thanks for replying

Don2727 said:
See I have no calculations because I just don't understand what we are supposed to do with *JUST MASS* , I searched it up and realized a lot of people talking about angles and stuff. Can you please (not teach me) but inform me on the basics on how to use mass to find static coefficient. Here is the fbd assuming its accelerating eastwards
That drawing does not show an inclined plane. It is flat, not inclined.

Try a Google Images search on mass on inclined plane with friction, and you will get lots of examples of FBDs for this problem. The book will just start to slip when the force of friction pointing back up the inclined plane (parallel to the inclined plane surface) is equal to the force of gravity on the book pointing down the inclined plane (parallel to the plane). Please look at the forces labeled on the Google Images FBDs and write the equation that equates the forces that I just mentioned. :smile:

berkeman said:
That drawing does not show an inclined plane. It is flat, not inclined.

Try a Google Images search on mass on inclined plane with friction, and you will get lots of examples of FBDs for this problem. The book will just start to slip when the force of friction pointing back up the inclined plane (parallel to the inclined plane surface) is equal to the force of gravity on the book pointing down the inclined plane (parallel to the plane). Please look at the forces labeled on the Google Images FBDs and write the equation that equates the forces that I just mentioned. :smile:

Haha , yeah I know its flat in the picture, juts image it wasnt flat, I didnt want to spend too much time rotating it and stuff ( I have exams ) and, ill give it a go.

Fnet = Fn - Ff - Fg
ma = mg - μmg - mg? sorry its been 2 months since I've done forces unit, but I am assuming fg and fn cancel each other out, and we are left with Fnet = Ff?

Don2727 said:
Haha , yeah I know its flat in the picture, juts image it wasnt flat, I didnt want to spend too much time rotating it and stuff ( I have exams ) and, ill give it a go.

Fnet = Fn - Ff - Fg
ma = mg - μmg - mg? sorry its been 2 months since I've done forces unit, but I am assuming fg and fn cancel each other out, and we are left with Fnet = Ff?
You should be showing a FBD like this one, and setting the forces equal that I mentioned...

http://img.sparknotes.com/content/testprep/bookimgs/sat2/physics/0008/incline_withfFBD.gif
incline_withfFBD.gif

Don2727 said:
So what I am learning is that I need to get the angle.

Like I said I watched a video earlier and he said you do Us = tan30, that seems very odd.

The formula I have familiar with is Us = F/mg but we don't have force.
##\mu_s=\tan(\theta)##, where theta is the angle of the slope, applies in a particular circumstance. It is not generally true.
Neither the mass nor the exact force are of interest, only the ratio between them. If you were to double the mass, all the forces would double.

The force formula you quote is not necessarily correct. You need to say exactly what F represents there.

Since the task is in relation to static friction, the exact acceleration is not interesting either: you just have to distinguish between some acceleration and none.

Getting the diagram right is important. Showing it as level ground led to your mistaken belief that mg and the normal force would cancel.

haruspex said:
##\mu_s=\tan(\theta)##, where theta is the angle of the slope, applies in a particular circumstance. It is not generally true.
Neither the mass nor the exact force are of interest, only the ratio between them. If you were to double the mass, all the forces would double.

The force formula you quote is not necessarily correct. You need to say exactly what F represents there.

Since the task is in relation to static friction, the exact acceleration is not interesting either: you just have to distinguish between some acceleration and none.

Getting the diagram right is important. Showing it as level ground led to your mistaken belief that mg and the normal force would cancel.

I gave you all I got, that's what we learned this year. I don't understand how I can solve for this Us, if just given the mass (and I can calculate the angle). I would assume, it has to do with Fg, Fn, and the angle (and of course mass)

Don2727 said:
I gave you all I got, that's what we learned this year. I don't understand how I can solve for this Us, if just given the mass (and I can calculate the angle). I would assume, it has to do with Fg, Fn, and the angle (and of course mass)
As I said, forget the mass. You may be given it but it is not relevant. Just call it m.
With the right experiment, all that matters is the angle. Are you told what experiment to conduct, or are you supposed to figure that out?
Look at berkemen's diagram. What are the forces acting parallel to the slope? (Do you know how to find the component of a force in a given direction in relation to the force?). What are the forces acting normally to the slope? In a static situation, what equations relate these forces?

The experiment is, we put a textbook on an incline and let it go down. "find the Us"

The only force that is parallel is "Ff" , and Fg + Fn are perpendicular.

The only formula we have learned relating to this is Fsmax = Fn/Fg or Fnet = Fn - Ff - Fg like I mentioned earlier.

Don2727 said:
The only force that is parallel is "Ff" , and Fg + Fn are perpendicular.
No, mg is not perpendicular to the slope. Take another look at berkeman's diagram.
Don2727 said:
The only formula we have learned relating to this is Fsmax = Fn/Fg or Fnet = Fn - Ff - Fg like I mentioned earlier.
Equations don't mean anything unless you specify what the variables represent. On the face of it, neither of those equations makes any sense.
The first one appears to have a force equalling a force divided by another force.
The second has you taking the difference between two forces (Fn, Ff) that are at right angles to each other.
Here's a correct equation that might help:
##F_{f,max}=\mu_s F_n##, where ##\mu_s## is the coefficient of static friction, ##F_n## is the normal force between the surfaces, and ##F_{f,max}## is the maximum frictional force, i.e., the frictional force that exists just before the object slides.
Don2727 said:
The experiment is, we put a textbook on an incline and let it go down. "find the Us"
that will not give you the static coefficient. If you were to measure the acceleration as it slides down you could find the kinetic coefficient that way.
To find the static coefficient you must gradually increase the angle of the slope until the book starts to slide. From that critical angle you can find the static coefficient.

1. What is the formula for calculating the coefficient of static friction?

The formula for calculating the coefficient of static friction is μs = Fs/N, where μs is the coefficient of static friction, Fs is the maximum force of static friction, and N is the normal force.

2. How do I measure the maximum force of static friction?

The maximum force of static friction can be measured by slowly increasing the applied force on an object until it starts to move. The maximum force of static friction will be equal to the applied force right before the object starts to move. This can be repeated multiple times and the average of the measurements can be used to calculate the coefficient of static friction.

3. What is the significance of the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the force needed to overcome the static friction and cause an object to start moving. It is an important factor in determining the stability and safety of objects on surfaces, as well as for designing machines and structures that require friction to hold objects in place.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the coefficient of static friction?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the coefficient of static friction. However, the normal force, which is used in the calculation of the coefficient of static friction, is influenced by the mass of the object. A heavier object will have a greater normal force, which can result in a higher coefficient of static friction.

5. Can the coefficient of static friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of static friction can be greater than 1. This means that a greater force is needed to overcome the static friction and cause the object to start moving. However, a coefficient of static friction greater than 1 is not common and usually indicates a very rough or irregular surface.