How to solve for the general solution in a vector linear relationship?

In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for u, but is having trouble visualising what to do. He thinks that if he does (ai+bj+ck) times (i+4j), he will get (0i-0j+(4a-b)k), which he equates to (0i+0j+3k). The student then finds that 4a-b=3 and a is arbitrary. Finally, he concludes that a=t and u=ai+bj=ti+(4t-3)j.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Find the general solution to the equation: ##{u}\times{(i+4j)}=3k##

Homework Equations

##u=(ai+bj+ck)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble visualising what to do here.

So my throught so far is that, if i do ##(ai+bj+ck)\times {(i+4j)}=(0i-0j+(4a-b)k) ##
now if I equate ##(0i-0j+(4a-b)k)=(0i+0j+3k)## I get ##4a-b=3## and this is where i draw a blank,it's the general equation part that I don't get.

I mean if I rearange I could do for a or b, I preffer b as it have no fractions, ##4a-3=b##, so I assume that I would sub this back into u which would give me ##u=(0i+(4a-3)j+0k)##. Now doe the general equation, mean vector equation of the line. Normally I would find the direction vector and the starting vector but it being a cross product has thrown me a bit. Am I on the right lines or have I gone very wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
From the first you know that u is perpendicular to k hence u can be written as ai + bj and from there sub into the cross product and solve it.

Hi, is that not what I have done, the ans in the back of the exercsie book gives the ans as: ##u=-3j+t(i+4j)## where has the parameter t come into, p.s I did not look at the ans before I posted, but still unawre how u can equal this, as to me it look like the vector equation of a line.

Taylor_1989 said:
Hi, is that not what I have done, the ans in the back of the exercsie book gives the ans as: ##u=-3j+t(i+4j)## where has the parameter t come into, p.s I did not look at the ans before I posted, but still unawre how u can equal this, as to me it look like the vector equation of a line.

You just need to equate magnitudes. since any two dimensional vector have $k$ as the unit vector of vector product.

Ok, I am really not understanding here, how dose equating the magnitudes help with this problem as there is a parameter t. Could you please expand, if you calculate the magnitude surely you just working out the area of a parallelogram?

Taylor_1989 said:

Homework Statement

Find the general solution to the equation: ##{u}\times{(i+4j)}=3k##

Homework Equations

##u=(ai+bj+ck)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble visualising what to do here.

So my throught so far is that, if i do ##(ai+bj+ck)\times {(i+4j)}=(0i-0j+(4a-b)k) ##
now if I equate ##(0i-0j+(4a-b)k)=(0i+0j+3k)## I get ##4a-b=3## and this is where i draw a blank,it's the general equation part that I don't get.

I mean if I rearange I could do for a or b, I preffer b as it have no fractions, ##4a-3=b##, so I assume that I would sub this back into u which would give me ##u=(0i+(4a-3)j+0k)##.

##\vec u=a \vec i + b \vec j +c \vec k##. You obtained b=4a-3 which is correct, and a is arbitrary. For the general solution, you can not take the coefficient of ##\vec i ## zero in vector ##\vec u##.

so from what u are saying is that ##a=t, u=ai+bj=ti+(4t-3)j## now I assume that this is t can be any number along the u vector?

Taylor_1989 said:
so from what u are saying is that ##a=t, u=ai+bj=ti+(4t-3)j## now I assume that this is t can be any number along the u vector?
t is an arbitrary number, and u depends on it. "number along the u vector" has no sense.

Thank you for you help after taking a step back I relieased what was going on. Once again thank you for the help

What is a vector linear relationship?

A vector linear relationship is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two or more vectors in a linear space. It refers to the idea that one vector can be expressed as a scalar multiple of another vector, or a combination of multiple vectors through addition and subtraction.

How is a vector linear relationship represented mathematically?

A vector linear relationship is typically represented using vector equations, which involve the use of vectors, scalars, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. These equations can be used to solve problems involving vector linear relationships.

What are some real-world applications of vector linear relationships?

Vector linear relationships have a wide range of applications in the fields of physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to describe forces and motion in physics, to analyze and design structures in engineering, and to perform operations in computer graphics and animation.

What is the difference between a vector linear relationship and a scalar linear relationship?

A vector linear relationship involves the use of vectors, which have both magnitude and direction, while a scalar linear relationship involves only scalars, which have magnitude but no direction. In other words, a vector linear relationship describes the relationship between two or more directed quantities, while a scalar linear relationship describes the relationship between two or more quantities without direction.

How can vector linear relationships be used to solve problems?

Vector linear relationships can be used to solve problems by representing the given information using vectors and using mathematical operations to manipulate these vectors in order to find the desired solution. This can involve finding the magnitude and direction of a vector, determining the relationship between multiple vectors, or finding the components of a vector in a given coordinate system.