How to Solve the Integral: Evaluate ∫(1+e^-x)^1/2 / e^x from 0 to 1

• Thread starter IamBatman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about solving a specific integral and the person initially tried using u substitution but it did not simplify the integrand. Another person suggests using integration by parts and the original person eventually figures out the solution.
IamBatman

Homework Statement

Hi guys, so I've been having some trouble with this specific integral, and would like some help on how to solve it.[itex]\int^1_0\sqrt{1+e^{-x}}/e^x[/itex].

2. The attempt at a solution

Editing

Next stage I'm sort of confused because I've never encountered two variables with "u".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With you u substitution, all you have done is replace 'x' with 'u'. You haven't done any essential simplification to the integrand.

I would suggest looking at integration by parts. If you can find candidates for u and v with parts, then further substitution might be warranted.

SteamKing said:
With you u substitution, all you have done is replace 'x' with 'u'. You haven't done any essential simplification to the integrand.

I would suggest looking at integration by parts. If you can find candidates for u and v with parts, then further substitution might be warranted.

Yeah I wasn't sure if I should substitute more lol or just go through with algebra. Thanks.

Actually usub does work. Re write e^x in the denominator as e^-x times the squareroot expression. u=e^-x+1. does it looks like du could be written in terms of e^-x?

I figured it out

IT HAS BEEN SOLVED :)!

I am Batman.

1. What is the purpose of evaluating an integral?

The purpose of evaluating an integral is to find the exact numerical value of the area under a curve or the volume of a solid bounded by a surface. It is an important tool in calculus and is used in many fields of science and engineering to solve real-world problems.

2. How do you evaluate an integral?

To evaluate an integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. These techniques involve breaking down the integral into smaller, simpler parts and then using the fundamental theorem of calculus to find the solution.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that the value of a definite integral represents a specific area or volume, while an indefinite integral represents an entire family of functions that differ only by a constant.

4. What are some common applications of evaluating integrals?

Evaluating integrals is commonly used in physics to calculate work, force, and displacement. It is also used in economics to analyze supply and demand curves, in statistics for probability distributions, and in engineering to model and design structures and systems.

5. Are there any limitations to evaluating integrals?

Yes, there are some limitations to evaluating integrals. Some integrals cannot be solved using traditional techniques and require advanced methods such as numerical integration. Additionally, not all functions have an antiderivative, which means they cannot be evaluated using integration.