How to Structure Your Study for the FE Exam?

In summary, this conversation is about preparing for the FE exam after being out of school for a few years. The main tips for efficient studying are to use the booklet provided for equations and formulas, to understand the concepts behind the equations, and to focus on time management during the exam. It is recommended to purchase a study manual and follow its schedule, as well as taking practice exams to identify weaker subjects. Non-mechanical majors may feel at a disadvantage on the exam, but the recommended review manual covers all the necessary material. Working backwards from the multiple choice answers may also be helpful. Time is the biggest enemy on the exam, so it is important to stay on track and not get stuck on difficult problems. The FE Reference Handbook contains all
BetaBoa
Hello,

I graduated in spring 2010, and I am beginning study for the Oct 2012 FE / EIT exam (long wait, I know ...) .

I was wondering if anyone else has taken it after being out of school about two years, and what you did to efficiently structure / make use of your time for studying for this exam?

Anyone have good books / resources for the AM / PM-(Mechanical) specifically would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I dropped out of school for 5 years before going back in 1999 to finish my BSME in 2 years. I took the FE after graduating. I tried to study Thermodynamics as I thought that would be the hardest section for me as it had been over 5 years since I had the class.

However, I mainly studied the booklet that they mailed to me which covers the all the equations and formulas that would/could be used on the test. You get another booklet to use during the exam.

Study where the equations are in the booklet, knowing where the equations/formulas are in the booklet will save you time flipping back and forth trying to locate the page that has what you are looking for.

While all the necessary equations and formulas are in the booklet, it's up to you to understand the concepts and how to apply them.

Ultimately, I was right in not being adequately prepared for the thermodynamics section, I know I missed a lot of those questions, but I did really well on the rest of the test so I didn't have to worry too much about it.

Hope this helps.

I've heard that advice a lot (regarding the booklet) and that it's deceptively easy since it's "open book" for the equations. Thanks!

Your best bet is buying a study manual and following the study plan in it. Take practice exams to understand your weaker subjects and target your review material and do lots of study problems.

Here is the best FE study manual IMO:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1591263336/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The study schedule in the manual assuming you cover all of the material:
  • 52 Day crash-course going straight through assuming no rest or review days, no weekends.
  • 72 days going straight through assuming a rest and review day every fifth day, no weekends.
  • 99 days using only 5-days weeks, taking off rest and review days and weekends.

Always keep in the back of your mind that TIME is your biggest enemy in the test. Sure, you can solve any problem given enough time but the first half only gives you 2 minutes per problem, and 4 minutes per problem for the afternoon session (harder problems). Taking practice exams will help you get comfortable in finding problems that you can solve quickly, and skip problems that are taking too long. Worse than missing a problem is taking too long and not getting to the last 20 questions.

Also remember: it's multiple choice, and working backwards from one of the answers may be easier, and you can narrow down a solution based on obvious wrong answers. They're sneaky too because some of the multiple choices are the answer if you make a common mistake... In the end you have a 25% guess chance if all else fails, but answer all of the questions even if you just guess.

Last edited:
Thanks^

I checked that out from my library a few weeks ago. TBH I am just going to purchase it, along w/ the NCEES PM-Mechanical book (and AM booklet).

I want to take this once and be done w/ it.

I am tripping up a little on the math sections (the ones that I don't really remember like parabolas, hyperbolas, etc).

BTW: How do electricals / chemicals take the AM? It has statics, dynamics, strengths. :P Seems a bit unfair.

Yup I understand what you're saying about non-mechanical majors being at a disadvantage. The exam really shows it's roots, structural and mechanical. Still, the review manual should give you everything you need if you go through it in detail.

I'm preparing for the FE exam myself, although I may not have time to take it this October. I had the review book Mech Engineer suggested (until someone stole it :frown:) and found it quite good. I also have the NCEES review book and while its helpful it only has a fraction of the material of the other one.

For what it's worth I took the FE 5 years after graduating, and went through a somewhat relaxed 3-month review cycle covering mostly subjects I hadn't used since college. The Lindeburg FE Review manual (the one I recommended) does a great job of teaching you the basics, and the practice exams are pure gold. I also bought the Lindeburg Engineer-In-Training reference manual and kept it as a reference guide.

In the end time really is your biggest enemy; keep yourself on-track with time, skip problems you get wrapped around the axle on, etc (go through and guess at skipped questions in the last 10 minutes or so). The FE Reference Handbook will have most every equation you need, so get familiar with its layout and use the index!

Also don't underestimate the power of being able to work backwards from some of the answers to bound the right one. There's no partial credit or showing your work- all that matters is the right answer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Mech. Its good to hear you took it so long after you graduated as the way its going I'm probably won't be able to take it until after I graduate as well.

1. How should I organize my study materials for the FE exam?

To structure your study for the FE exam, it is important to first gather all of your study materials, including textbooks, practice exams, and notes. Then, create a study schedule that allows you to cover all of the necessary topics and gives you enough time for review. You may also want to consider using study guides or online resources to supplement your study materials.

2. What topics should I focus on for the FE exam?

The FE exam covers a wide range of topics in engineering, so it is important to have a solid understanding of all of these areas. However, some of the most frequently tested topics include mathematics, statics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, and thermodynamics. Be sure to allocate enough time to review and practice these topics.

3. Should I take practice exams while studying for the FE exam?

Yes, taking practice exams is an essential part of preparing for the FE exam. This will help you become familiar with the exam format and the types of questions that may be asked. It will also give you an idea of which areas you may need to focus on more during your study.

4. How much time should I spend studying for the FE exam?

The amount of time you should spend studying for the FE exam will vary depending on your individual study habits and the amount of material you need to cover. However, most experts recommend studying for at least 200 hours in total, spread out over several weeks or months.

5. Can group study sessions be beneficial for preparing for the FE exam?

Group study sessions can be beneficial for preparing for the FE exam, as long as they are organized and productive. Make sure to choose study partners who are also committed to passing the exam and have a similar study style. Use the sessions to review difficult concepts and quiz each other on practice problems.