How to Study Fermi-Walker Transport in Minkowski Spacetime

In summary, the author discusses how parallel transport works in Minkowski spacetime and how the Rindler case can be reduced to two dimensions to show how the spacelike vector has to rotate to stay orthogonal to the timelike vector. He then goes on to discuss the Fermi-Walker transport equation and how it can be derived from the four-velocity dot product. He ends by providing a summary of the article.
facenian said:
My point was that to understand the FWT concept, it is simpler to carry out the analysis in flat spacetime
Which, as has already been pointed out, is exactly what the article under discussion does. If other references try to start the analysis in curved spacetime, that is irrelevant for this discussion.

You have now been banned from further posting in this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
Orodruin said:
However, the Lie derivative of ##X## if you want to Lie transport it is given by ##(\mathcal L_V X)^a = [V,X]^a = \dot X^a - X^b \partial_b V^a = 0##, leading to the two non-trivial equations
$$
\dot X^x = X^x \partial_x V^x + X^y \partial_y V^x = - \omega X^y, \qquad
\dot X^y = \omega X^x
$$ with the solution ##X^x = \cos(\omega s)## and ##X^y = \sin(\omega s)## and therefore ##X^x = \cos(\omega)## and ##X^y = \sin(\omega)## for ##s = 1##, which is generally different from (0,1,0).
Just to be complete: there is a third equation namely
$$ \dot X^t = X^t \partial_t V^t = X^t$$ for which ##X^t=0## identically is a solution.

Therefore the solution vector field ##X## 'evaluated' at the point ##(0,0,0)## matches the vector ##X^x=1,X^t,X^y=0## we started with. Hence the vector field ##X## (i.e. its components ##X^t,X^x,X^y##) is function of ##s## coordinate only.

Is the above correct ? Thanks.

Last edited:
cianfa72 said:
Just to be complete: there is a third equation namely
$$ \dot X^t = X^t \partial_t V^t = X^t$$ for which ##X^t=0## identically is a solution.
The component ##V^t## is equal to one. Therefore its derivative is zero.

Orodruin said:
The component ##V^t## is equal to one. Therefore its derivative is zero.
Yes sure, we get ##\dot X^t = 0## therefore ##X=const=0## identically. As said in #37 the solution vector field ##X## is a function of coordinate ##t## only (i.e. ##s## along the curve), right ?

cianfa72 said:
Yes sure, we get ##\dot X^t = 0## therefore ##X=const=0## identically. As said in #37 the solution vector field ##X## is a function of coordinate ##t## only (i.e. ##s## along the curve), right ?
Technically ##X## is not a full field, but only defined along the integral curve, which makes it a function of the curve parameter such that ##s\mapsto X(s) \in T_{\gamma(s)}M##, where ##\gamma(s)## is the point the parameter maps to along the curve.

Likes cianfa72
Orodruin said:
Technically ##X## is not a full field, but only defined along the integral curve, which makes it a function of the curve parameter such that ##s\mapsto X(s) \in T_{\gamma(s)}M##, where ##\gamma(s)## is the point the parameter maps to along the curve.
So basically the solution ##X## is not defined in a open neighborhood of each point along the integral curve. What has been done is to solve the three differential equations along the integral curve ##t=0##.

cianfa72 said:
So basically the solution ##X## is not defined in a open neighborhood of each point along the integral curve. What has been done is to solve the three differential equations along the integral curve ##t=0##.
The integral curve is ##x = y = 0##, ##t## is the only varying coordinate.

Orodruin said:
The integral curve is ##x = y = 0##, ##t## is the only varying coordinate.
Oops, yes (i.e. let me say ##t## becomes the curve parameter ##s##). Thank you.