How to supplement my Physics/EE degrees for Work From Home?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for flexibility in work due to family responsibilities and explores potential industries that offer the ability to work remotely. Some suggestions for fields with this flexibility include companies that sell software that supports hardware design, specifically in the areas of circuit or chip design. The conversation also mentions the importance of programming in various engineering jobs and the potential future use of programming in tasks such as 3D printing design.
mbrmbrg
I'm a mother of young children with a bachelor's in Physics and a master's in Electrical Engineering. I can't work full-time and commute right now, so I want to take some courses to position myself to get into an industry that would allow me to work from home most of the week. Other than programming, what fields have that sort of flexibility? VLSI?

Thanks in advance!

-Malka

Physics news on Phys.org
How about companies that sell software that supports hardware? such as circuit or chip design?

My nephew has done that for quite some time as a customer support for a chip modeling software which I can't remember the name of.

Some that come to mind are:
Cadence Spectre, Synopsis Hspice...

https://www.cadence.com/content/cadence-www/global/en_US/home/tools/custom-ic-analog-rf-design.html

https://www.cadence.com/content/cad...uit-simulation/spectre-circuit-simulator.html

https://www.synopsys.com/verification/ams-verification/circuit-simulation/hspice.html

Interesting... thanks!

I am a self-employed consulting engineer - specializing in heat pump systems and control - and I do most of my projects 'remotely'.

I have degrees in physics and engineering, but it was more important that we developed a pilot system, did extensive research as a side project, and shared the results. Before I had worked in information security for a long time, also working mainly remotely, and at the beginning I joked about 'doing heat pump projects in the same way as IT projects'. But that joke has become my default way of working.

That said, our heat pump projects also involve programming (of controllers, of simulations...) - I believe that's true to some extent for every engineering job. But software is not the main solution I deliver, just a required tool to get the design and planning done. I believe more and more tasks will be based on 'programming' - e.g. today we send design documents and plans to clients, and in the future they will perhaps print out their heat exchangers based on a 3D printing design specified in a 'programming language'.

Interesting. Thanks!

What types of skills can I supplement my Physics/EE degrees with to be successful in a Work From Home environment?

In addition to your technical expertise in Physics and Electrical Engineering, it can be beneficial to develop skills in communication, time management, and self-motivation. These skills will help you effectively collaborate with remote teams and manage your workload while working from home.

Are there any specific software or tools I should learn to enhance my Work From Home capabilities as a Physics/EE professional?

Familiarizing yourself with virtual meeting platforms, project management tools, and remote collaboration software can greatly improve your ability to work from home as a Physics/EE professional. Examples include Zoom, Slack, Trello, and Google Drive.

How can I stay connected with my colleagues and supervisors while working from home as a Physics/EE professional?

Regular communication is key when working from home. Make use of virtual team meetings, email, and instant messaging to stay connected with your colleagues and supervisors. Additionally, scheduling regular check-ins and providing frequent updates on your work progress can help maintain a strong connection.

What steps can I take to maintain a healthy work-life balance while working from home as a Physics/EE professional?

It can be challenging to separate work and personal life when working from home. Some tips for maintaining a healthy balance include setting boundaries between work and personal time, creating a designated workspace, and taking breaks throughout the day. It is also important to establish a routine and stick to a schedule.

How can I showcase my Physics/EE skills and experience when applying for remote positions?

When applying for remote positions, it is important to highlight your relevant skills and experience in your resume and cover letter. Be sure to emphasize your ability to work independently, communicate effectively, and manage projects remotely. Providing examples of successful remote projects or experiences can also help showcase your capabilities as a Physics/EE professional in a work from home environment.