How to use the energy equation for SHM to find the position at a given velocity?

• Thread starter Oneablegal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Shm
In summary, the problem involves a 7kg weight attached to a spring with a constant of 327 N/m, undergoing SHM. The initial position is -1.22m with a velocity of 3.54m/s, and the system moves to a position with a velocity of 4.73m/s. Using the conservation of mechanical energy equation, 1/2mvf^2 + 1/2kxf^2 = 1/2mvi^2 + 1/2kxi^2, we can solve for xf to obtain the final position of -1.13m.
Oneablegal

Homework Statement

A 7kg weight is affixed to a spring with a constant of 327 N/m. System undergoing SHM.
Position x is -1.22m and velocity of positive 3.54 m/s. The system then moves to a position where the velocity is positive 4.73. Find the position where the velocity is 4.73 m/s

Homework Equations

I know that velocity increases in a + direction to the left of equilibrium. The initial position I am given,-1.22m is to the left of the equilibrium point, and I know the weight is speeding up toward the equilibrium point. I believe the relevant equation here is the conservation of mechanical energy for a mass-spring system.

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2mvf^2 + 1/2kxf^2 = 1/2mvi^2 + 1/2kxi^2
The 1/2 cancels

And I am stuck on how to set up the equation. I know if mvf^2 = kxi^2, then vf = √(kxi^2)/m, but that is for velocity, where is a known... ugh! I need a bump in the right direction so I can do this myself. I need to find Xf, and I think I need to take a negative square root somewhere... The book solution tells me the answer is -1.13m, but I am working on trying to figure out how To get there.

Please kick me in the right direction, so I can solve and understand this problem. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have $$ m v_f^2 + k x_f^2 = m v_i^2 + k x_i^2 .$$ Of all the symbols in the equation, you know ## k, \ m, \ v_i, \ v_f, \ x_i ##. The only unknown is ## x_f ##. Solve for it.

Ah! Thank you! It was looking me right in the face! Got it!

Related to How to use the energy equation for SHM to find the position at a given velocity?

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion. It is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point due to a restoring force.

2. What is the energy equation for SHM?

The energy equation for SHM is E = 1/2kA^2, where E is the total energy of the system, k is the spring constant, and A is the amplitude of the oscillations.

3. How is the total energy of a system affected by changes in amplitude or spring constant?

The total energy of a system in SHM is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude and the square of the spring constant. This means that increasing the amplitude or spring constant will result in an increase in the total energy of the system.

4. Can SHM have a negative total energy?

No, SHM cannot have a negative total energy. The energy equation for SHM only allows for positive values, as it represents the sum of kinetic and potential energy.

5. How does the energy in SHM change over time?

In SHM, the total energy remains constant over time. This is because the oscillations between kinetic and potential energy are balanced, resulting in a constant total energy value.