Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to you test for diamonds?

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1

I would like to know how one can confirm that a material is diamond apart from confirming its crystal structure. I tried the copper cooling test and it passed, are they any other tests to confirm? What acid test would be best to confirm?

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2010 #2
    diamonds burn in Oxygen.
  4. Apr 30, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

5. Apr 30, 2010 #4
    Hardness (scratch test)
  6. Apr 30, 2010 #5
    I prefer the hammer test. Don't use an new anvil were you do precision work. Smashing a diamond can ruin the surface.

The index of refraction of diamond is about 2.4. Cubic zirconia is about 2.2.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  7. Apr 30, 2010 #6

Gold Member

Just Google on Diamond Tester. They are common and relatively inexpensive.
  8. Apr 30, 2010 #7
    Specific gravity is another good test.
  9. May 1, 2010 #8

Science Advisor

These are all rather 'macroscopic' test methods, and based on some of the questions / comments darkelf has posted in the past (mostly regarding microprocessing / surface coatings), I would hazard that this isn't the case. Having said that, I have no idea either, aside from what the other posters have mentioned (hardness testing, spectroscopy, conductivity--though this might be difficult to distinguish from graphite or other carbon allotropes).
  10. May 1, 2010 #9

Science Advisor

Raman spectroscopy is used all the time for diamond surface films.
    It's the usual way to characterize CVD diamonds.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook