How would you go about solving these set of equations?

• Thread starter nonequilibrium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, to solve a set of equations of the form {x+y+z=a, xy+xz+yz=b, xyz=c} elegantly, one can use the method of substituting two variables to get an equation for the third variable. One possible approach is to multiply equation 2 by z and then subtract equation 3 to get an expression for (x+y)z^2, which can then be substituted into equation 1. This results in a cubic equation in terms of z, which can be solved using a root-finding algorithm.
nonequilibrium
Say you have a set of equations of the form
[itex]\left\{ \begin{array}{rl}
x+y+z &=a \\
xy + xz + yz &= b \\
xyz &= c
\end{array} \right. [/itex]
(for clarity: I'm working over the regular numbers)
how would you go about solving it elegantly? (or at least rewriting it as linear equations)

I'm thinking of something analogous to how you can solve
x+y &=a \\
xy &= b
namely by noting that (x-y)² = (x+y)² - 4xy = a² - 4b (and after taking the square root we're left with two good ol' linear equations, i.e. x+y=... and x-y=..., a form which I regard as "being solved")

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mr. vodka said:
Say you have a set of equations of the form
x+y+z &=a \\
xy + xz + yz &= b \\
xyz &= c
(for clarity: I'm working over the regular numbers)
how would you go about solving it elegantly? (or at least rewriting it as linear equations)

I'm thinking of something analogous to how you can solve
x+y &=a \\
xy &= b
namely by noting that (x-y)² = (x+y)² - 4xy = a² - 4b (and after taking the square root we're left with two good ol' linear equations, i.e. x+y=... and x-y=..., a form which I regard as "being solved")

Hey mr. vodka.

Have you tried just subsituting two of the variables to get the whole thing in a third one?

So for example you could everything in terms of z by taking (1) to get x = a - y - z and taking (2) to get y = (b - xz)(x + z) and then plug in (1) and (2) and simplify to get an equation for (3) giving z = c/xy where you get an expression in terms of only z.

You could do it in more than one way (this is only one possible way), but then you would end up with some kind of equation and at the worst you can use a root-finding algorithm, and probably use a few transformations to get the thing in surd form if it exists (using your ideas in your original post).

Call the equations 1, 2 and 3

Multiply 2 by z

xyz+xz2+yz2=bz

Subtract 3

(x+y)z2 = bz-c

Substitute into 1

(bz-c)/z2+z=a

Can you take the cubic from there?

Last edited:
Thank you both for your trouble. Studiot's method was more like something I was looking for, thank you!

First, we can rewrite the original set of equations as:

x + y + z = a
xy + (x + y)z = b
xyz = c

Next, we can use substitution to eliminate one variable at a time. For example, we can solve for z in the second equation by substituting x + y for z:

xy + (x + y)(x + y) = b
x² + 2xy + y² = b

Now, we can use the same method as in the given example to solve for x and y:

(x - y)² = (x + y)² - 4xy = a² - 4b
x - y = ±√(a² - 4b)

Substituting this value into the first equation, we can solve for x and y:

x + y = a ±√(a² - 4b)

Finally, we can use these values to solve for z in the first equation:

z = a - x - y = a - (a ±√(a² - 4b)) = ±√(a² - 4b)

Therefore, the solutions for x, y, and z are:

x = (a ±√(a² - 4b))/2
y = (a ±√(a² - 4b))/2
z = ±√(a² - 4b)

This method elegantly solves the set of equations and reduces it to linear equations, similar to the given example. It also works for any set of equations in this form, as long as the variables are not raised to powers higher than 1.

1. What is your approach to solving these equations?

My approach to solving equations is to first understand the problem and the given equations. Then, I would use mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to isolate the unknown variable and solve for its value.

2. How do you determine which equations to use?

In order to determine which equations to use, I would look for patterns and relationships among the equations. I would also consider the given variables and their values to determine which equations would be most appropriate to use in order to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What factors do you consider when choosing a method to solve the equations?

When choosing a method to solve equations, I consider the complexity of the equations, the number of unknown variables, and the given information. I also consider the most efficient and accurate method for solving the specific type of equations.

4. How do you check the accuracy of your solution?

To check the accuracy of my solution, I would substitute the values of the unknown variable into the original equations and see if they satisfy the equations. I would also double-check my calculations and make sure they are correct.

5. Can you explain the reasoning behind each step of your solution?

Yes, I can explain the reasoning behind each step of my solution. I would break down each step and explain how it contributes to isolating the unknown variable and solving for its value. I would also explain the mathematical properties and concepts used in each step.