How you put gravity in for the equation

• Thread starter therealkellys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, when using equations such as v=v0+at, you would use 9.8m/s^2 for the acceleration due to gravity, making sure to take into account the correct sign convention depending on the direction of the y-axis.
therealkellys
I realize this probably sounds like a simple question, but I was just wondering how you put gravity in for the equation. I know that gravity is equal to +/-(9.8 m/s^2). However, when you are putting it in an equation such a v=v0+at...do you use 9.8/(t^2) or just the rate...9.8? Thanks in advance for the help:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
therealkellys said:
I realize this probably sounds like a simple question, but I was just wondering how you put gravity in for the equation. I know that gravity is equal to +/-(9.8 m/s^2). However, when you are putting it in an equation such a v=v0+at...do you use 9.8/(t^2) or just the rate...9.8? Thanks in advance for the help:biggrin:

You just put in 9.80 m/s^2 where "a" appears in the equation.

Actually, be careful about the sign. There are different conventions in the litterature.

Using a y-axis pointing up, you may encounter [itex] v_y= v_{y0} + a_y t [/itex] in which case [itex] a_y = -9.80 m /s^2 [/itex] or you may encounter [itex] v_y= v_{y0} - g t [/itex] in whcih case you use g = +9.80 m/s^2.

Patrick

Since acceleration is a vector quantity, it is always -9.8m/s

Related to How you put gravity in for the equation

1. What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to one another. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun, and objects on Earth from floating off into space. The strength of gravity between two objects is determined by their mass and the distance between them.

2. How is gravity incorporated into the equations of motion?

In classical mechanics, gravity is included in the equations of motion through Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This force is then used to calculate the acceleration of an object due to gravity.

3. What is the value of the gravitational constant in the equation?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a universal constant that appears in the equation for the force of gravity. Its value is approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 m^3/kg*s^2. This value allows us to calculate the exact strength of the gravitational force between two objects.

4. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by causing them to accelerate towards each other. This acceleration is always directed towards the center of mass of the two objects and is proportional to their masses. In the absence of other forces, gravity causes objects to fall towards the Earth at a rate of 9.8 m/s^2.

5. Can gravity be explained by Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Yes, Einstein's theory of general relativity provides a more accurate and comprehensive explanation of gravity compared to Newton's law of universal gravitation. It describes gravity as the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass and energy. This theory has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately predict the effects of gravity on a large scale, such as the bending of light by massive objects.