How much time will it take for a log to arrive from point A, to point B?

In summary, the conversation discusses a boat's travel time between two points on a river and the effect of the river's flow on the time. The question at hand is how long it will take for a log to travel from point A to B, and the equation T2/V1=T1/V1-V0 is offered as a possible solution. The conversation also mentions a diagram and the need for the velocity of the boat and the width of the river.
HellgY
A boat floats across this river, and back,
It takes 5 hours for it to reach point B, from point A, and then 7 hours to
return to point to point A from point B.

Naturally it's because not because the crew got tired on the way back,
but because the flow of the river, or it's angle which is pretty much more of the same.

the question is: How much time will it take for a log to arrive from point A, to point B?.

I believe the V0=Constant(The flow), otherwise that teacher would have said mentioned it.

i believe the equation is:
T2/V1=T1/V1-V0

The equation with all the numbers intact should look like that:

7/x=5/x-y

and there is another equation i can add, based upon the fact that the distances AB, and BA are the same.

T1*V1=T2*(V1-V0)

5x=7x-7y

does anyone have a clue how can i sole this correctly?, because my solution just doesn't seems correct at all.

{7/x=5/x-y
{5x=7x-7y*

or is it:
{5x=7x-yx
{x-y=5x/7*

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the Forums,

Let me see if I've got this question straight in my head. A boat starts from point A to B, this takes five hours. Then the boat turns around and floats back to point A under no propulsion. You need to know how long it will take a log to float from A to B?

Have I got that about right? Is there a diagram?

Hootenanny said:
Welcome to the Forums,

Let me see if I've got this question straight in my head. A boat starts from point A to B, this takes five hours. Then the boat turns around and floats back to point A under no propulsion. You need to know how long it will take a log to float from A to B?

Have I got that about right? Is there a diagram?
It floats 7 hours back, with propulsion, apparently against the flow, or the angle of the river, or any constant force for that matter.

i need to calculate how quickly will a block of wood arrive from point A, to point B, driven by the flow of the river obviously, so what i need to find is V0, which is the speed of the river flow

HellgY said:
It floats 7 hours back, with propulsion, apparently against the flow, or the angle of the river, or any constant force for that matter.

i need to calculate how quickly will a block of wood arrive from point A, to point B, driven by the flow of the river obviously, so what i need to find is V0, which is the speed of the river flow
Do you have the velocity of the boat? Width of the river? I diagram would be very useful here. I am assuming that point A is downstream from point B.

Hootenanny said:
Do you have the velocity of the boat? Width of the river? I diagram would be very useful here. I am assuming that point A is downstream from point B.
It's the other way around, point B, is a downstream from point A.

I don't have the Velocity of the boat, Just the info i provided.

I'm suppose to find V1 and V0 with an equation, it isn't supposed to be a problem since we are dealing with constant speeds here

Related to How much time will it take for a log to arrive from point A, to point B?

1. How is the distance between point A and point B calculated?

The distance between point A and point B is typically calculated using a measuring tool, such as a tape measure or GPS device. This distance is then used to estimate the time it will take for the log to arrive at point B from point A.

2. What factors affect the time it takes for a log to arrive at point B?

Several factors can affect the time it takes for a log to arrive at point B, including the distance between the two points, the speed of the transport method, potential delays or obstacles along the way, and the efficiency of the transportation process.

3. Does the type of transportation method impact the estimated time of arrival?

Yes, the type of transportation method can greatly impact the estimated time of arrival for a log from point A to point B. For example, using a truck to transport the log will likely be faster than using a boat, as trucks can typically travel on land at higher speeds.

4. How accurate are the estimated arrival times for logs?

The accuracy of estimated arrival times for logs can vary, as there are many variables that can affect the actual time it takes for a log to arrive at point B. However, with advanced technology and tracking systems, these estimates can be fairly accurate and constantly updated in real-time.

5. Can weather conditions impact the estimated time of arrival for a log?

Yes, weather conditions can have a significant impact on the estimated time of arrival for a log. Severe weather such as storms, heavy rain, or strong winds can delay transportation and result in a longer travel time for the log to reach point B.