Calculating Angle of Wooden Stick Attached to Hinge Above Water

In summary, you need to find the angle the stick makes with the horizontal water in order to solve the homework.
Waxterzz
Hi fellas

1. Homework Statement

a wooden stick , length 4 meters , density = 600 kg/m³ and thickness = 225 cm² is attached on a hinge 1 meter above water

so the point is u got to find the angle the stick makes with the horizontal water

you will see the drawing in the jpg file

3. attempt
none , don't know where to begin
but i tried to set up an equitation of this system , i don't know how to involve the hydromechanical part in it

Attachments

• problem.JPG
    problem.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
your attachment is pending, so i ll give you a general hint.
the stick floats at an angle to the water surface, assume the angle as theta, you know the center of mass of the stick, find the center of bouyancy(its midway of the submerged part of the stick, you know the height of water(i am assuming this) you have assumed the angle, find the submerged length, simple trigo). take the moments about the point of contact of the stick with the container(reaction passes through that point, so it won't have any moment). solve

hi , thanks for your reaction
but what do u mean with you know the height of water , u only know the length of the stick and the distance between the hingle and the water surface

distance between the hinge and water surface = height of water(sorry for silly terminology)

if theta is the angle to the vertical, cos (theta) = water height/length of submerged part of stick

actually its the angle to the horizontal :)

the sketch , still pending , will make things clear

everything about this problem is bothering me

is this basic idea right :

momentum of the non under water part = momentum underwater part
G pulls the non underwater part downwards and Archimedes pushes the underwater part upwards ?

so the weigth of the non underwater part multiplicate with the length of the non underwater part = archimedes force multiplicate the length of the non under water part

damn hydraulics

some part right but a large part wrong
you are confusing bw moment and momentum, they are different. here moment is considered
moment of the whole stick weight(weight acting at CoM, gravitational force) = moment of bouyant underwater part(bouyant force acting at midway of underwater part, archimedes force)

but u have to incalculate the moment of the tension force also , becos the stick is attached on an axis

and i guess ill need more equitations for this problem ...

geez i don't know what tension you are talking about. if you are talkin about the forces developed in the stick itself, don't worry boy, those forces pass through the hinge point, so no moment coz of them

1. What is hydrodynamics?

Hydrodynamics is the study of the motion of fluids, including liquids and gases, and the forces that govern their behavior.

2. What is a hydrodynamics problem?

A hydrodynamics problem is a scientific or engineering challenge that involves understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids in motion, such as the flow of water in a pipe or the movement of air around an airplane wing.

3. How is hydrodynamics used in real life?

Hydrodynamics has many practical applications, including designing ships and submarines, predicting weather patterns, and understanding the behavior of blood flow in the human body.

4. What are some key principles of hydrodynamics?

Some key principles of hydrodynamics include Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases, and the conservation of mass and energy, which state that mass and energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed.

5. How do scientists study hydrodynamics?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study hydrodynamics, including mathematical models, computer simulations, and experiments in controlled environments such as laboratories or wind tunnels.