Hydrost Pressure Integration Problem (Environmental Physics)

In summary, the problem involves using the hydrostatic equation and the gas law to compute the vertical profile of the pressure in the atmosphere. By determining the equation for temperature and using the hydrostatic pressure theorem, the equation for pressure can be derived. However, there was a small mistake in the calculation, which was eventually corrected.
MrGianmarcoD
Hey guys!

I'm working on a problem for which i somehow just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

This is the problem:
During daytime the vertical temperature profile of the atmosphere is observed to obey the dry adiabatic lapse rate (-9.8K/km). At the surface the temperature is 20°C, and the air pressure is 1.018·105 Pa. Use the hydrostatic equation and the gas law to compute (numerically) the vertical profile of the pressure. What are the pressure values at 0.5 and 1 km?

I think I've figured it out, but somehow i think i make an error with the maths.

First of let's determine the equation for the temperature (in Kelvin):
$$T(z) = 293.15-0.0098z$$
For the hydrostatic pressure we can use $$\frac{dp}{dz}=-\rho g$$ with the ideal gas law given as $$\rho = \frac{p}{R_d T(z)}$$.
Combining it all and putting all the constants into C:
$$\frac{dp}{dz}=-\frac{p g}{R_d \times (293.15-0.0098z)}=C\frac{p}{293.15-0.0098z}$$
$$\int_{p_0}^p \frac{1}{\tilde{p}}d\tilde{p}=C\int\frac{1}{293.15-0.0098z}dz$$
$$\ln{p}-\ln{p_0}=\ln{\frac{p}{p_0}}=C\times\left(-\frac{1}{0.0098}\right) \ln{(293.15-0.0098z)} \\ =\ln{\left[ (293.15-0.0098z)^\frac{g}{0.0098 R_d} \right] }$$
Taking the exponential of this form will give us finally:
$$p\approx p_0 (293.15-0.0098z)^{3.4874}$$

It's weird that the hydrostatic air pressure is increasing with height right? Since from the hydrostatic pressure theorem it should decrease. Can anyone point out to me what I'm doing wrong exactly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the bounds and the result for ##\int dz##.

Likes gracy
Thanks! If I'm correct, i'll get:
$$
\ln{p}-\ln{p_0}=\ln{\frac{p}{p_0}}=C\times\left(-\frac{1}{0.0098}\right) \ln{(293.15-0.0098z)} \\ =\ln{\left[ (293.15-0.0098z)^\frac{g}{0.0098 R_d} \right] }-\ln{\left[ (293.15-0.0098z_0)^\frac{g}{0.0098 R_d} \right] }
$$

with z0=0 this becomes:

$$
\ln{p}-\ln{p_0}=\ln{\frac{p}{p_0}}=C\times\left(-\frac{1}{0.0098}\right) \ln{(293.15-0.0098z)} \\ =\ln{\left[ (293.15-0.0098z)^\frac{g}{0.0098 R_d} \right] }-\ln{\left[ (293.15)^\frac{g}{0.0098 R_d} \right] } \\
=\ln{\left[ \left( \frac{293.15-0.0098z}{293.15}\right)^\frac{g}{0.0098 R_d} \right] }
$$

$$
p\approx p_0 \left(\frac{293.15-0.0098z}{293.15}\right)^{3.4874}
$$

And that solves all. Great! One of those small mistakes which you just don't notice when you're working too long on the same thing haha. Thanks so much!

Likes gracy
Equation (40) here !

1. What is the Hydrostatic Pressure Integration Problem in Environmental Physics?

The Hydrostatic Pressure Integration Problem is a mathematical model used to calculate the pressure distribution in a fluid at rest. It takes into account changes in elevation and density of the fluid to determine the pressure at any given point.

2. How does the Hydrostatic Pressure Integration Problem relate to Environmental Physics?

The Hydrostatic Pressure Integration Problem is an important tool in understanding the movement and distribution of fluids in the environment, such as in bodies of water, the atmosphere, and even in the human body. It is used to study various phenomena like ocean currents, weather patterns, and blood flow.

3. What factors affect the solution to the Hydrostatic Pressure Integration Problem?

The solution to the Hydrostatic Pressure Integration Problem is affected by the density and height of the fluid, as well as the force of gravity. It also takes into account any external forces acting on the fluid, such as wind or tides.

4. How is the Hydrostatic Pressure Integration Problem solved?

The problem is typically solved using calculus and the fundamental principles of fluid mechanics. It involves breaking down the fluid into infinitesimally small volumes and calculating the pressure at each point using the hydrostatic equation. These values are then integrated to find the overall pressure distribution.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Hydrostatic Pressure Integration Problem?

The Hydrostatic Pressure Integration Problem has a wide range of applications in environmental physics, including predicting storm surge heights during hurricanes, designing dams and levees, and understanding the movement of groundwater. It is also used in medical procedures, such as measuring blood pressure and calculating drug dosages in IV therapy.