1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbolic dynamics.

1. Apr 27, 2008 #1
    Given the three maps [itex] x_{n+1}=Ax_n[/itex] with
    [tex] A_1=\begin{pmatrix} 1&-1\\1&1 \end{pmatrix}, A_2=\begin{pmatrix} 1/2&1/2\\-1&1 \end{pmatrix}, A_3=\begin{pmatrix} 3&2\\5/2&2 \end{pmatrix}, [/tex]
    describe the dynamics, and say whether or not the dynamics is hyperbolic.

Finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors is relatively easy. And i know that the dynamics is hyperbolic if no eigenvalue lies on the unit circle (A1 is thus hyperbolic, and A2 is not). But is a system with eigenvalues {L1,L2} such that 0<L1<1<L2 hyperbolic (A3), or should both eigenvalues numerically be either greater or less than 1 ?

Also, does complex eigenvectors say anything about the general dynamics (cases: A1,A2) or is all that you can conclude that the origin is an unstable spiral because Re(Li)>0 ? I mean, in the case A3, the eigenvectors tells us the eigendirection of the stable and unstable subspaces, right?

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2
    I think we need more information. I don't know what is meant by "dynamics" in this problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?