Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbolic Functions

1. Jan 3, 2005 #1
    Hi! How do you write the LaTeX code for the secant, cosecant, and cotangent hyperbolic functions?

I tried using \sech, \csch, and \coth but I am getting an error when I run the latex program. It is giving me a undefiend control sequence message? Is there a package I need to include in my .tex file to have those hyperbolic functions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

just use \text{sech} and so on. you could create your own macro too. these aren't latex commands you see, though the coth one is supposed to be.

rather than search for a package that may have them and probably won't install easily just create the macros in your preamble
  4. Jan 3, 2005 #3
    Thanks. I think I sort of jumped to conclusions with the coth. However, I still get an undefined control sequence error using \text{}. Does it matter it being used within an {eqnarray*} ?
  5. Jan 3, 2005 #4

Science Advisor

[itex]\coth x[/itex] works for me... I'm not using \text. Maybe you left no space between coth and the argument...
  6. Jan 4, 2005 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

as he says, he's got coth to work.

i don't know why it's not working in an eqnarray* (though I wouldn't put the braces there ). Some environments have problems if \ is the first character of an entry in some slot, you could try typing {\text{sech}}
  7. Mar 10, 2010 #6
    The other way around this problem, especially if using the command several times, is to create a new command in the preamble.

\newcommand{\sech}{\mathrm{sech} \,}

And similar for the others. The \mathrm will ensure it's written in normal font and the \, will make sure there is a gap between the function and variable.

8. Mar 10, 2010 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you're using amsmath, an even better way is to use \DeclareMathOperator.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?