Understand Hysteresis in Circuits: How to Control It

In summary, the conversation is about hysteresis and how to control its value in a circuit. The person asking the question is looking for a general explanation of hysteresis and also how to change its value in a circuit. They have tried researching on their own but are still unsure. The other person suggests using a higher value resistor to increase the value in the circuit. They also remind the questioner to phrase their questions clearly and with respect. The conversation ends with the questioner finding a solution and apologizing for the lack of information in their initial question.
NukeEngineer
Hello,

I'm having some problem in understanding what is hysteresis. can someone explain it to me what is hysteresis, and how can i make the value big or small as i wish?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you asking generally about hysteresis? Or do you refer to any of it's specific types?

hysteresis in general. how about it?

Have you tried the wiki? It gives a nice explanation.

oh yeah I've tried. it's great. thanks. btw do you happen to know how can i change the value as i wish in circuit? like increase the resistor value or something like that?

If you want to increase the resistor value, use a resistor of higher value.

A question well phrased is half answered.
Please take the time to think your question through and state it clearly.

change the value as i wish in circuit?
What circuit ?

It's disrespectful to ask somebody to invest effort when you won't.
That's why you are getting dismissive answers.

Attitude is everything.

ah, I've got the solution. it's op-amp based circuit by the way. thank you, and sorry for the lack of information in my question.

jim hardy said:
A question well phrased is half answered.

A question well-phrased is already half answered.

I like that. Indeed, an astute description, Jim.

1. What is hysteresis in circuits?

Hysteresis in circuits refers to the phenomenon where the output of a system depends not only on its current input, but also on its previous inputs. In other words, the output of the system is affected by its history.

2. Why is it important to understand hysteresis in circuits?

Understanding hysteresis in circuits is crucial for designing and controlling electronic systems. Hysteresis can cause instability and unpredictability in the behavior of circuits, so it is important to know how to control it to ensure the desired functionality of the system.

3. How does hysteresis affect circuit performance?

Hysteresis can affect circuit performance in a number of ways. It can cause delays in the response of the system, distortions in the output signal, and even lead to oscillations or instability. In some cases, hysteresis can also cause the circuit to consume more power than necessary.

4. What are some common methods for controlling hysteresis in circuits?

There are several techniques for controlling hysteresis in circuits, depending on the specific application and circuit design. Some common methods include using feedback loops, adjusting component values, and implementing Schmitt triggers.

5. How can hysteresis be beneficial in circuit design?

While hysteresis can sometimes cause issues in circuit performance, it can also be beneficial in certain applications. For example, hysteresis can be used to create memory elements in digital circuits or to filter out noise in analog circuits. It can also improve the stability of some systems by reducing the effects of small fluctuations in the input signal.