Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am also confused in energy in QT

1. May 11, 2005 #1
    Is it really conserved or not?
    In one hand, from the Heisenberg principle, \delta E \delta t ~h, then energy is not strictly conserved.

While in the other hand, from the Feynman diagrams we are drawing, the four-vector of momentum is conserved in every vertex, so energy is conserved everywhere.

I think some of the examples raised in the post before can not well illustrate the broken of energy conservation rule in quantum level, because they can be explained as the energy-0(or nearly 0) state creats a pair of particles, one carries positive energy and the other carries negative energy.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2005 #2
  4. May 12, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Incidentally,when computing Green functions (closely linked to S-matrix elements) u'll end up with a [itex] \delta^{4}\left(\mbox{incoming momenta-outgoing momenta}\right) [/itex] which should say it all.

5. May 12, 2005 #4
    Hence, energy conservation is respected between final and initial state. When it comes to virtual particles, momentum-conservation is respected AT ALL TIMES because of the above formula. Each vertex has such relations and besides they determin which exact momentum the virtual particles will have to 'carry over'

6. May 12, 2005 #5
    Do you mean this:
    Energy conservation is always respected.

But how is the superposition of state having different energy?
    When we measure it, it fall into each energy with posibility.
    Does it mean when we measure it, we must pass energy to it?

In the same way, if a state is a superposition of positive charge and negative charge(can this be made? I think it can, but not sure), when we measure the charge, it falls into either positive or negative. But it is not likely true that we pass any charge to it.
  7. May 12, 2005 #6
    I now think it is like this, do you agree with me?
    Energy conservation is always respected.
    the deltaE deltaT relation only tells us that the particle can go off the mass-shell by amount deltaE during time order deltaT?
  8. May 13, 2005 #7

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?