I am interested in Schrodinger equation with tempor. element

In summary, the conversation discusses the Schrodinger equation and the calculation of probability with three variable coordinates and time. It is mentioned that the solution is not always normalizable and requires Rigged Hilbert Spaces. A book recommendation is also given for a better understanding of the topic.
Viorel Popescu
I am interested in Schrodinger equation with the temporal element and the calculation of the probability when its depend on 3 variable coordinate and time? How to calculate it and norm it? Probability = (integral x,y,z...0 to infinity) * (integral t...0 to infinity)=1 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

Ae^i(kx - wt) in suitable units is a solution and is not normalizeable.

So you can't always normalize it. The solution lies in what's called Rigged Hilbert Spaces.

At the intuitive level you consider it as an approximation to one that is ie assuming a finite universe at some very large distance it is zero. But rigorously it requires what I said - Rigged Hilbert Spaces.

As a warm-up up I highly recommend the following book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521558905/?tag=pfamazon01-20

All physicists, and indeed applied mathematicians need to know this stuff. It's worth it for its treatment of Fourier Transforms alone - otherwise you get bogged down in issues of convergence, providing of course you want to have at least a reasonable level of rigor and not hand-wavy - which IMHO is the same as the intuitive view I gave before. Its OK to start with but as you progress you will want a better understanding.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

1. What is the Schrodinger equation with temporal element?

The Schrodinger equation with temporal element is a mathematical equation that describes how quantum systems evolve over time. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926 and is one of the fundamental equations of quantum mechanics.

2. What is the significance of the temporal element in the Schrodinger equation?

The temporal element in the Schrodinger equation accounts for the time dependence of quantum systems. It allows us to understand how the state of a quantum system changes over time and predict future states.

3. How does the Schrodinger equation with temporal element differ from the original Schrodinger equation?

The original Schrodinger equation only describes the time-independent behavior of quantum systems, while the Schrodinger equation with temporal element accounts for both time-independent and time-dependent behavior. This makes it a more comprehensive and accurate description of quantum systems.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Schrodinger equation with temporal element?

The Schrodinger equation with temporal element is used in a wide range of fields, including quantum chemistry, solid-state physics, and quantum computing. It has also been applied to study the behavior of complex systems such as biological molecules and materials.

5. Is the Schrodinger equation with temporal element still a topic of active research?

Yes, the Schrodinger equation with temporal element is still a topic of active research and is constantly being studied and refined. As our understanding of quantum mechanics deepens, new applications and implications of the equation continue to be explored.