I am looking for interesting physics/math or logic problems

In summary: I'm not sure what you are asking. If you are asking if I was able to solve for x, the answer is no. If you are asking if I was able to solve for y, the answer is yes. However, I am not satisfied with the solution and would like to improve it.
pabilbado
Gold Member
Well, the tittle is self-explanatory. If anyone has an interesting problem or puzzle. I will be grateful if you could post it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why does a mirror change left and right but not up and down?

Likes PeroK
pabilbado said:
Well, the tittle is self-explanatory. If anyone has an interesting problem or puzzle. I will be grateful if you could post it.

Why is it not possible to solve the equation: y = x - sin(x)?

Solving for y is simple, but solving for x, is, um, well, you asked for interesting math problems.

ps. I first asked this question, 30 years ago. And after 20 years of getting no answers, I offered a $100 prize to anyone who could explain it to me. Fortunately, I ran into a mathematician one day, and he explained it, quite to my satisfaction. Can you do the same?
pps. Don't spend too much time on the problem, if you don't know the answer, as, it will consume many minutes of your life.

A cow stands in a circular field of radius R. It's tethered to a post on the boundary by a rope. How long is the rope if the cow can eat half the grass in the field? Ignore length of cow.

And no I don't have the answer.

CWatters said:
A cow stands in a circular field of radius R. It's tethered to a post on the boundary by a rope. How long is the rope if the cow can eat half the grass in the field? Ignore length of cow.

And no I don't have the answer.
I think I solved your problem. If you rearrange this equation you should get that r=(something)xd, where r is the radious of the field and d the length of the rope, that should be the relationship between the rope and the radius of the field. I hope I am right.
e3bb36f85fc49f33b1da850928794045.png

EDIT> Sorry there is a mistake on my work, I should post the correct solution tomorrow.

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
Why is it not possible to solve the equation: y = x - sin(x)?
Is it because they are linearly independent? Like how if you have y = sin(x) + cos(x) you can't isolate x?
In my head I just expand out the power series for sine and then you end up with an infinite degree polynomial which can't be reduced, not sure if that's the answer though

Mercy said:
Is it because they are linearly independent? Like how if you have y = sin(x) + cos(x) you can't isolate x?
In my head I just expand out the power series for sine and then you end up with an infinite degree polynomial which can't be reduced, not sure if that's the answer though
Or is it simply because ##π## is transcendent?

Mercy said:

fresh_42 said:
Or is it simply because π is transcendent?

all bolding mine.

Perhaps you two should ask these questions in the "Maths" forum. I haven't spoken the language of maths in 30 years, so I have no idea what you two are talking about.
I've posted in the Maths forum about twice, in the last 8 years. Both times, I sensed that people thought that I didn't quite speak right, so I never went back.

OmCheeto said:
I've posted in the Maths forum about twice, in the last 8 years. Both times, I sensed that people thought that I didn't quite speak right, so I never went back.
Have you considered the fact that this might have been not your fault? I'm out for 20 years now and they leave nothing untried to shoot me down.

OmCheeto said:
all bolding mine.

Perhaps you two should ask these questions in the "Maths" forum. I haven't spoken the language of maths in 30 years, so I have no idea what you two are talking about.
haha fair enough, do you remember what the answer you were satisfied with was?

Mercy said:
haha fair enough, do you remember what the answer you were satisfied with was?

It had something to do with taking the inverse of an infinite series.

If you solve for the first term of the sine series:

sin.of.x.jpg

you get x

So y = x - sin(x) reduces to:

y.as.a.function.of.x.jpg

I was able to get that far.

Upon showing this to my acquaintance, he told me that taking the inverse of an infinite series was uglier than the original infinite series.
I checked that out, and he was correct.

Now I'm not saying the equation is impossible to solve, but, well, 30 years, is 30 years.

Likes fresh_42
OmCheeto said:
Upon showing this to my acquaintance, he told me that taking the inverse of an infinite series was uglier than the original infinite series.
So basically we agree on: "It's getting uglier and uglier the more you try." Guess that's something for number theorists. They love those expressions.

Ah I see, in math that is known as the power series of sin(x). When you expand the series it becomes:

$$ \sin(x) = x - \frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^5}{5!} - \frac{x^7}{7!} + ... $$

and that goes on to infinity. So when you take y = x - sin(x) it cancels out that first x term in the series and you're left with an infinite degree polynomial that can no longer be reduced to sin(x) (since that first x is gone). It's (in almost all cases) impossible to isolate x in an infinite degree polynomial, therefore it's impossible to isolate x in y = x - sin(x)

I think that's the answer to the question

If you have a spherical surface and are asked to place 5 points on it which are all equidistant from each other, what would be the closest you can get to that.
(Apart from putting all the points at the same place!)

Should Integers exist when there is an infinite amount of decimal numbers between them. If so why?

A physics problem that has been brought up a few times in the past, requires calculus. Two point masses, each with mass M, are in space free from any outside force and initially not moving with respect to each other, separated by distance R. How long before the two point masses collide due to gravity?

Thought problem, can a sailcraft out run the wind that propels it? Say a sand yatch is tacking downwind at some angle, can it's downwind component of speed exceed the wind speed? Or can a wind driven vehicle where it's wheels drive a propeller against the wind go faster directly downwind than the wind?

fresh_42 said:
Why does a mirror change left and right but not up and down?
A flat mirror reverses forwards and backwards (along a line perpendicular to the surface of the mirror), not left and right or up and down.

Hi pabilbado.
I've recently seen a quite interesting little video on YouTube. Here is the link
I wonder what you think about it. Thank you.

1. What makes a physics or math problem interesting?

An interesting physics or math problem is one that challenges our understanding of the natural world and requires creative thinking to solve. It should also have real-world applications and be applicable to various fields of study.

2. Where can I find interesting physics or math problems?

There are many resources available for finding interesting physics or math problems, such as textbooks, online forums and communities, and scientific publications. You can also create your own problems by applying your knowledge to real-world situations.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics and math?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills is by practicing regularly and challenging yourself with new and difficult problems. You can also seek guidance from experienced scientists or join study groups to discuss and solve problems together.

4. Are there any specific strategies for solving physics or math problems?

While there is no one-size-fits-all strategy for solving problems, some common approaches include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, drawing diagrams or visual aids, and using equations and formulas to guide your thinking process.

5. How can solving physics or math problems benefit me as a scientist?

Solving physics or math problems not only helps deepen your understanding of these subjects, but it also trains your critical thinking and analytical skills, which are essential for success in any scientific field. It can also improve your problem-solving abilities in other areas of your life.