Is My Memory Loss at 22 Normal?

• Thread starter Iyafrady
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, Greg is experiencing a feeling of emptiness, a disconnection from reality, and a sense of being unreal. He is also having difficulty remembering recent events. He is 19 or 20 years old and should see a doctor to check for any physical problems that might be causing these symptoms.
Iyafrady
I can't feel my life!

For some strange reason, I've been thinking a lot about this. Every day that passes and every thing that I do right after that I feel like I have done nothing and accomplished nothing. Its like a feeling of emptiness and this has been going on for the past few months. Its making me question things and scares me sometimes. For example If I travel to my neighboring city and comeback during the weekend I feel like it was all a haze and a blur like more of a dream than reality.And the other day i took out the trash but i have absolutely no recollection of it, i only knew i took it out because the trash bag wasnt in my room no more.i don't know if it can be some sort of dementia,im 22.

Physics news on Phys.org
Iyafrady said:
im 22.

Didnt you say your one friend got grounded in another post...? What kind of 22 year old gets grounded?

I would recommend seeing a psychiatrist/psychologist.

NBAJam100 said:
Didnt you say your one friend got grounded in another post...? What kind of 22 year old gets grounded?

greg is 18 or 19.But yeah they treat him like a kid.

Definitely seek medical help. Some forms of depression can make a person feel that way.

Edit: So can drug use or excessive drinking.

Last edited:
edward said:
Definitely seek medical help. Some forms of depression can make a person feel that way.

i don't think its depression, I am almost shure its mental.I also tried to open my apartment door with the car remote on my keychain, like if it was my car.I couldn't believe i did that, it scared me.

Mmmmmmmmmm...thread locked. Member ban.

I get strange feelings of disconnection sometimes. It happened fairly often when I was around your age. Of course I could very likely be diagnosed with depression.

Iyafrady said:
I also tried to open my apartment door with the car remote on my keychain, like if it was my car.I couldn't believe i did that, it scared me.

Pft. I do that all the time.

It's more a matter of distraction. Perhaps too many things are going on in your life.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I get strange feelings of disconnection sometimes. It happened fairly often when I was around your age. Of course I could very likely be diagnosed with depression.

But If I was depressed then shouldn't i feel depressed?,gloomy?,sad?...i don't really feel that.Although i do fee lonely sometimes but when i go home for the weekend or study w/ friends it goes away.

Iyafrady said:
But If I was depressed then shouldn't i feel depressed?,gloomy?,sad?
Not necessarily, no. Depression manifests in myriad ways.

Iyafrady said:
Although i do fee lonely sometimes but when i go home for the weekend or study w/ friends it goes away.
Are you away at school?

Iyafrady said:
i don't think its depression, I am almost shure its mental.I also tried to open my apartment door with the car remote on my keychain, like if it was my car.I couldn't believe i did that, it scared me.
See a general practitioner. They can do some basic tests and bloodwork which will give them some idea if it's physical, like some kind of organ not working right or blood circulation problem, etc. They will also be able to determine if you might need to see a neurologist.

DaveC426913 said:
Are you away at school?

Yea, i study an hour and a half away from home.Maybe i should get a room mate next semester since i live alone.But i still don't think its depression.How possible is it to develop some sort of dementia at 22?

zoobyshoe said:
See a general practitioner. They can do some basic tests and bloodwork which will give them some idea if it's physical, like some kind of organ not working right or blood circulation problem, etc. They will also be able to determine if you might need to see a neurologist.

Ive had this feeling for awhile now that if i get a cat scan there'd be something wrong,im almost certain of it.

Iyafrady said:
Ive had this feeling for awhile now that if i get a cat scan there'd be something wrong,im almost certain of it.

Which they can then treat, if that's true. Still, it might be something completely different, like a heart problem that is making you light headed all the time.

Best to see a doc and go from there. Avoiding bad news won't make it better.

I can feel my toes. They feel great! *wiggle* *wiggle*

Hoooooooommmmmmmm eeeeeee oooooommmmmmmmm eeeee ruuuuuuuu duuuuuuuuu kuu kuu kuu kuu... I'm just stating the obvious folks. (BTW, those were tibet monk chanting sound effects).

Last edited:
Iyafrady said:
For some strange reason, I've been thinking a lot about this. Every day that passes and every thing that I do right after that I feel like I have done nothing and accomplished nothing.

Perhaps you are depressed, or merely disillusioned. IIRC worrying about having health problems (which you indicate a few times) is one symptom of depression. You could see a psychiatrist if you want. Or you may not need to. I really can't say.

You should see your family doctor. He will determine if you should see a shrink or get a cat scan.

Seriously, that's what they're there for.

zoobyshoe said:
Which they can then treat, if that's true. Still, it might be something completely different, like a heart problem that is making you light headed all the time.

Best to see a doc and go from there. Avoiding bad news won't make it better.

my chest always feels sore, but its been that way for years probably like 7 yrs or so.When i stretch i can feel and hear things "pop" and "loosen" in my chest.Im going to webMD.

signerror said:
Perhaps you are depressed, or merely disillusioned. IIRC worrying about having health problems (which you indicate a few times) is one symptom of depression. You could see a psychiatrist if you want.
A psychiatrist is at the end of the list of doctors anyone wants to see. First you exhaust all the possible physical/neurological causes.

Iyafrady said:
my chest always feels sore, but its been that way for years probably like 7 yrs or so.When i stretch i can feel and hear things "pop" and "loosen" in my chest.Im going to webMD.

Make an appointment tomorrow with a General Practitioner for a full physical, then tell them the specific things that are bothering you.

Iyafrady said:
But If I was depressed then shouldn't i feel depressed?,gloomy?,sad?...i don't really feel that.Although i do fee lonely sometimes but when i go home for the weekend or study w/ friends it goes away.
Disconnection can be a symptom of depression. A coping mechanism. I'm not saying that you are depressed but like Dave said it can manifest in various ways. It could be mild and easily managed. You never know though.

Iyafrady said:
Yea, i study an hour and a half away from home.Maybe i should get a room mate next semester since i live alone.But i still don't think its depression.How possible is it to develop some sort of dementia at 22?
What you are describing is not dementia. At the worst you might call it dissociative. Dissociation usually occurs after trauma but can also occur from stress.

I'd say that if you are really concerned you should see a doctor and possibly a councelor at your school.

1. What causes memory loss at a young age?

There are several potential causes of memory loss at a young age, including genetic factors, head injuries, certain medical conditions, and lifestyle habits such as drug or alcohol use.

2. Is it normal to experience memory problems in your early twenties?

It is not uncommon to experience occasional memory lapses or forgetfulness in your early twenties, as the brain is still developing during this time. However, persistent memory problems should be evaluated by a medical professional.

3. Can stress or anxiety contribute to memory loss?

Yes, chronic stress and anxiety can affect memory function by causing changes in the brain's structure and impairing the formation of new memories.

4. Are there any lifestyle changes that can improve memory at a young age?

Yes, maintaining a healthy diet and regular exercise can support cognitive function and memory. Engaging in mentally stimulating activities, such as puzzles or learning a new skill, can also help improve memory.

5. When should I see a doctor about my memory concerns?

If you are experiencing persistent memory problems that are interfering with your daily life, it is important to consult a doctor for an evaluation. They can help determine the underlying cause and provide appropriate treatment or management strategies.