I could use some basic physics help

In summary, physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. Basic physics principles can be applied in everyday life to understand various phenomena such as motion, electricity, and sound. Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity takes into account both speed and direction. Gravity is a force that attracts objects with mass towards each other and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit and objects falling towards the ground. The basic units of measurement used in physics are length, mass, time, electric current, temperature, amount of substance, and luminous intensity.
Eric1234
ive been sick a lot lately, and have missed a lot of physics, my worst class, and I am doing all the homework I've missed and can't figure out these 2 problems.everything else has been done. any help, like how to do them, i don't need the answer just how to set it up and such. anything would be helpfully. I am an 11th grader, so its not college leveled.

"A 2500kg car is moving at a speed of 20m/s. the car is slowing don with a constant force of 500N
how long does it take to stop,how far does the car tavel as it comes to a stop,make a Force vs Time"

"A train with a mass of 20,000 Kg is moving at 3m/s and attaches 2 other trains with the same mass,already attached. the two other cars are moving with a sppeed of 1.2m/s and moving in the same direction as the first car.
what is the speed of the three joined cars, after the collision? change of kinetic energy during collision. what sort of collision has occured?"

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
or no help:(

First question

Mass of train = 2500Kg
Velocity Initial = 20m/s
Force = Mass x Accel

500N = 2500Kg x Acceleration

Once you find acceleration (or deceleration in this case), you'd have

Velocity Initial = 20m/s
Veloctiy final = 0m/s
acceration = 500N/2500Kg

Then you can look for distance and time...

Second question

Thinking of conservation of momentum...

Momentum = mass x velocity

(20,000Kg)(3m/s) + (40,000Kg)(1.2m/s) = (60,000Kg)(x)

and change of kinetic energy of what during the collision?

Eric1234 said:
ive been sick a lot lately, and have missed a lot of physics, my worst class, and I am doing all the homework I've missed and can't figure out these 2 problems.everything else has been done. any help, like how to do them, i don't need the answer just how to set it up and such. anything would be helpfully. I am an 11th grader, so its not college leveled.

"A 2500kg car is moving at a speed of 20m/s. the car is slowing don with a constant force of 500N
how long does it take to stop,how far does the car tavel as it comes to a stop,make a Force vs Time"

"A train with a mass of 20,000 Kg is moving at 3m/s and attaches 2 other trains with the same mass,already attached. the two other cars are moving with a sppeed of 1.2m/s and moving in the same direction as the first car.
what is the speed of the three joined cars, after the collision? change of kinetic energy during collision. what sort of collision has occured?"

For the first question you'll want to use Newton's second law, F = MA to find the acceleration A. Then you can use

[tex] V = V_o + At [/tex]

where [tex] V_o [/tex] is the initial velocity, and V, your final velocity will be, of course, zero. Make sure that your acceleration is negative.

The how far the car goes can be found from

[tex] X = X_o + V_o t + \frac{1}{2} A t^2 [/tex]

You should start your second question with the conservation of momentum:

Momentum before the collision = Momentum after the collision

Before you have two objects traveling at different speeds and after the collision you have one object (the three coupled cars) traveling with one speed.

After you find the velocity of the coupled cars, you can find the kinetic energy before the collision and the kinetic energy after the collision. Since these kinetic energies will be different, this is an inelastic collision.

FAQ: I could use some basic physics help

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions.

2. How can I apply basic physics principles in everyday life?

Basic physics principles can be applied in many aspects of everyday life, such as understanding how objects move, how electricity works, and how sound travels. For example, understanding the principles of motion can help you drive a car more safely or play sports more effectively.

3. Can you explain the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. In other words, velocity takes into account both speed and direction.

4. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a force that attracts objects with mass towards each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and for objects falling towards the ground on Earth.

5. What are the basic units of measurement used in physics?

The basic units of measurement used in physics are length (meter), mass (kilogram), time (second), electric current (ampere), temperature (kelvin), amount of substance (mole), and luminous intensity (candela). These units are used to measure physical quantities such as distance, speed, force, and energy.

Back